After update: Failed to start LSB: starts the hestia control panel

Good Day All

With the latest update my Hestia CP doesn’t want to work. I get the following issue:

● hestia.service - LSB: starts the hestia control panel
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/hestia; generated)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2022-12-29 14:48:32 UTC; 21s ago
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
Process: 1171 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/hestia start (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

hestia[1193]: nginx: [emerg] cannot load certificate “/usr/local/hestia/ssl/certificate.crt”: PEM_read_bio_X509_AUX() failed (SSL: error:0480006C:PEM routines::no start line:Expecting: TRUSTED CETIFICATE

Any help would be great

Have you examined the certificate file at /usr/local/hestia/ssl/certificate.crt that was mentioned in the output?

Update:

● hestia.service - LSB: starts the hestia control panel
Loaded: loaded (/etc/init.d/hestia; generated)
Active: active (running) since Thu 2022-12-29 15:05:00 UTC; 4s ago
Docs: man:systemd-sysv-generator(8)
Process: 13327 ExecStart=/etc/init.d/hestia start (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

nginx: [warn] “ssl_stapling” ignored, issuer certificate not found for certificate “/usr/local/hestia//ssl/certificate.crt”
systemd[1]: Started LSB: starts the hestia control panel.

So the Systemctl says that Hestia CP has started (After I updaed the permissions to the folder) But now I cannot access the Control Panels Web browser/Interface. Just gives me Error 500.
(I did restart the system and checked the ports everything is correct)

I did and updated the permissions of the path/folder. CP is starting now but cant access the Web Interface now

I didn’t suggest altering any permissions. My recommendation was to view the contents of the referenced certificate file.

Your recent SSL stapling warning would cause me to run the file through openssl x509 -text -in /usr/local/hestia/ssl/certificate.crt|less for further scrutiny.

The 500 response would direct me to find more details in the relevant log file.

I know. I am just stating what I have done.
SSL check done (No issues)
I have restarted the system, Restarted Hestia CP service, Checked the error.log (Gives me the same error as above) I checked the ports. Connected directly to the IP (Doesnt work) and also doesnt work via the domain address. Checked and there is no firewall issues and nothing.

Websites I host all work and I can access them with no issues, but I cannot access the Web Interface at all.

Is there maby a way to bypass the ssl conenction? To conenct without it (Just to test/troubleshoot?)

Are you running Ubuntu? Did you upgrade to 22.04.1 right before your problem started? If the answer is yes, the following may be useful.

Did not Upgrade to 22.04 at all. Still Running on 20.04.
I did check if that package is installed (Just to be sure) and it was installed.

I checked all logs and nothing of not (Checked error log, Nginx access and error log, System Log, Auth Log) There are no entries

After a long time of fighting issue resolved. I checked the Iptables and everything was in order and correct and all I did was update ufw and allowed the incoming port again and issue was resolved. None of my other services was affected only Hestia. Very Very strange.

1 Like

I’m glad to see you got it working again.

Thank you for all your effort.
Really Appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

ufw should not be installed along hestia/iptables.

1 Like

No just create.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.