Borg incremental backups

Did some testing as it is still interesting as it would save me backing up large video files every time…

Bugs I found so far:

1. hestiacp-borg-incremental-backups/restore-web.sh at master · andyg2/hestiacp-borg-incremental-backups · GitHub
    Does check if /home/{user}/web/{domain} exists how ever if you delete the domain for what reason you have to create a new domain + restore it but then the original settings are still lost
  2. hestiacp-borg-incremental-backups/restore-mail.sh at 5e4f948acfe363cefb306824a200ba002517d2ee · andyg2/hestiacp-borg-incremental-backups · GitHub
    Has the same issue for mail also it is not possible to restore one account
  3. No option to restore DNS domain
  4. v-restore-user did not rebuild web and mail domains and dns domains and so on haven’t tested fully why
  5. To allow for use in Web UI at least Listing active backups should be possible
    borg list /backup/borg/home/user seem to be working how ever it would be nice to allow restoring a specific domain that is “active” in the backup but not on the Hestia server.
  6. All settings are currently more or less hardcode. We should probally add support to make it more flexible

Even the “Hestia” backup is far from perfect and I totally agree with it allows restoring only a domain or even only one mail account.

So is it useful? Yes, probally
Does it need a lot of work? Yes, for sure.

4 Likes