Hestia and DNS management?

Hi,
No, I haven’t as that wasn’t clear why it should be needed, as the command above is using admin to access the API. Also, there is no mention of what group nor permissions that the dns-cluster user should have.

1 Like

https://docs.hestiacp.com/admin_docs/server_management.html#how-to-setup-a-dns-cluster
The user is to be added trough Hestia not as a plain user
v-add-user USER PASSWORD EMAIL

3 Likes

That cleared the error message. :+1:
It still isn’t clear what the purpose the dns-cluster user has and a small explanation would be good to add to the docs. :wink:

1 Like

Dns zones received from the master will show up under that user
v-list-dns-domains 'dns-cluster' # (on the slave)

2 Likes

Sweet!

mcw.xxxx.comru.xxxx.com
Zones 3; Records 44

Much appreciated.

1 Like

The documentation could use a lot of improvements. We are working on it how ever progress is slow…

Ain’t so bad when there’s helpful guys like you lot, about. Cheers!

I was searching through the internet trying to accomplish just what’s being discussed here. I already have two PowerDNS servers running as ns1.domain.tld and ns2.domain.tld. HestiaCP is running on a third server (server.tld). What i need was to enable my clients to point their domains to ns1.domain.tld and ns2.domain.tld, login to HestiaCP and add their top level domains (client.tld) in HestiaCP and any further DNS entries/updates to be configured from HestiaCP and it should be replicated to my ns1 and ns2 servers. Just like any other web hosting control panels. After combing through the internet for a tutorial or guide simple enough to let me configure my servers, i found nothing useful.

So, i started reading through bind9 and PowerDNS documents and managed to implement just what i needed. Here’s a simple guide for pdns-backend-mysql:

1. From the admin account, in the user section, configure Packages ->DNS Name Servers → set ns1.domain.tld & ns2.domian.tld. This will ensure that everytime you client adds a domain name, it will automatically make appropriate NS entries in the DNS records.
  2. Update “pdns.conf” configuration on your nameservers (ns1 & ns2) to have these settings:
allow-dnsupdate-from=15.67.8.9 (Your HestiaCP public IP address)
allow-notify-from=15.67.8.9 (Your HestiaCP public IP address)
axfr-fetch-timeout=10
slave=yes
slave-cycle-interval=60
superslave=yes

(The above settings work for me.)

1. Login to mysql in ns1 & ns2 and insert entry using insert into pdns.supermasters values ('15.67.8.9','ns1.domain.tld','admin'); (use ns2.domain.tld for ns2). This way you can setup any number of PowerDNS instances.

2. After this your HestiaCP server will become the master DNS and PowerDNS servers will be the saves. Any changes in DNS entries from HestiaCP will be replicated across all the PowerDNS instances that you installed.

3. To ensure that DNS is replicated across your nameservers use the allow-transfer & also-notify options in bind9 configuration on HestiaCP server.

I hope this helped somebody, although the last activity was almost 2 years ago.

1 Like