Need to change Hestia configurations

Another question - This is the Last Question

I am going to build a new server. I want to know the server requirement that suits me and some idea about them.

1. I read about “Load”. Someone on a heastia forum said, “Load average 1 is 1 core at 100%”.
    My PHP currently uses a 1.2 CPU. (Php is 1.2 - 1.5 and Mysql is 0.3 - 0.6 every time I check) So should I assume that PHP is using my full core? Or is it ignored because the still load average is 0.55?

2. My RAM is 1GB but when I add the RAM usage of all the features here it is 1392MB. Does that mean I need to go to a server like 2GB RAM? or it can be ignored? (according to Hestia, Total - 985m, used 549m, free - 79m, available - 175m)

CPU usage is in percentage of the total available cores. But there are multiple process running sho don’t pin on it… It makes more sense to login via ssh into the server and run top and see what the server does…

As you can see Apache2 + MariaDB takes already up to 1 GB.

So 2 GB at least but I would probably go straight to at least 4 GB.

The more “memory” there is available how more memory Linux will use.

Like others have mentioned it might be good to look at your error logs to see what requests are failing to determine what the problem is.

It might be a badly performing WP plugin for instance.
If you find the source of the errors than fixing them becomes a lot less guesswork.

1 Like

Debian is 50% the ram usage of ubuntu on fresh install. I can install Hestia to show you that aswell. Hestia uses noticable less ram on debian.

With hestia still a decent difference. In the bigger scheme of things not alot of ram but on 1GB 2GB servers that is a lot.

I dont see there any difference, ubu tu just takes ~70mb more ram, which isnt that much. With hestia installed its only 50mb. I would not consider that this behaviour changes, when you give the vps more ram…

Is 50mb on a 1gb server really a lot? It doesnt feels like.

1 Like

50MB for 1GB is about 1 % more. So it more or less negotiable… Yes Ubuntu uses slightly more memory but does it really matter?

I have been installing Hestia on a 256mb VPS in the past without any issues but don’t think you have a lot of performance…

For a server with some traffic I would suggest increasing memory. Also ditching Apache2 saves a lot of memory usages…

1 Like