OpenSSH restart failed

Still happened after running the upgrades. :confused:

I think I found the cause, hestia runs a script at boot (via cron) that verifies the sftp entries (chroot) in the sshd_config. this also does a validity check via sshd -t before trying to restart ssh. that validity check seem to fail in some cases for other reasons and causes the mail to be sent.

as already assumed it appears to be that it’s simply running very early in the boot process and not everything is up and running, hence the failed check. again nothing critical, because it’s not related to the regular startup of ssh via systemd etc.

we’ll surely think about how to redo that part, so that the mails are being stopped. from my test a simple delay probably will already be enough. also the message in the body could be more specific :wink:

1 Like

Awesome! Glad to hear it’s probably not my fault!

no it’s definitely not your fault. sorry if the initial answers assumed so. it’s often hard to get into an issue without enough details :wink:
on top seems to be a rare condition about boot timing where this happens, so also not easily reproducable… you’ve been just lucky, that I saw that mail for one of my own servers :grin:

While frustrating, I understand. I’ve been on your side of the issue enough times to know that many people hit a snag and the first thing they do is call for “HALP” without even trying the basics, which results in a low signal to noise ratio for real requests. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Something that may help with the ability to reproduce - I use vultr high frequency VMs which have NVMe and higher clocked CPUs than average. Might have something to do with the speed of booting and how that affects the timing of services starting in relation to each other, especially with how consistently it happens for me.

If it’s relevant, I see that message at every restart of every install I made in the last days on Vultr, Ubuntu 18.04, Hestia 1.1.1, release. Because the lack of specifics, I initially assumed that some check is not made properly, because was strictly related to restarting, and only restarting. Only annoying, otherwise systems are working okay.

Still a issue even in master

OpenSSH can not be restarted. Please check config:

Confirm. Got 3 mails right now :slight_smile:

3 mails because of 3 reboots?

It was 30-40 minutes after rebooting the VPS.
I’ll install hetrixtools and observe this situation.