Pagespeed for hestia

This looks very interesting. Have you done any tests and care to share the results?

Nginx need to be compiled on the server or we have to build our own packages and host on our apt server.

If somebody wants to do it please go ahead.

Not yet… I don’t know where to begin… I think I can try with the apache mod first since it seems easier to deploy.

@eris maybe we could implement it as an apache-only feature.

Please remind with the release for Hestia 1.4. Apache2 in “Standalone” mode will not be anymore actively supported.

For install:

wget https://dl-ssl.google.com/dl/linux/direct/mod-pagespeed-beta_current_amd64.deb
dpkg -i mod-pagespeed-beta_current_amd64.deb
apt-get install -f 
systemctl reload apache2

A perfect tool like redis so perfectly to do it your self…

I meant for the nginx apache fpm configuration.

The idea is to keep Hestia as light as possible.
Users can install mod_pagespeed with 4 commands and it will be active on all there sites…

Also What Is Google PageSpeed Module and How It Works with WordPress?

The Page Speed Module has eaten our performance

The PageSpeed module requires a relatively large amount of power. With our BOXES, this can lead to the module eating up more performance than it can gain through optimization. This is because the website content is compressed, but the compression in turn requires computing power. Thus, the overall loading time of site can suffer from the optimization. This is exactly what happened to us in some cases, especially when the sites was tested under load.

https://raidboxes.io/en/blog/hosting-performance/pagespeed-module-test/

Thank you @eris since that post was written 5 years ago, maybe the PageSpeed Module has got better. I am going to try with a client that has a lot of traffic the small and low risk stuff and I’ll tell you how it went.

Hi guys, thanks for sharing this and i agree that is very interesting. I am testing it now on a test server. My first try with a test website not optimized (a dummy GRAV site) is very promising (perfomance score on lighthouse raise from 70 to 89).

My setup : Debian 10 - HST 1.3.5 (Apache + Nginx + MultiPHP + PHP-FPM)

Installation for pagespeed module for apache ran smoothly (just a little issue with google pagespeed repo GPG)
I didn’t touch Nginx nor any other setting on hestia.

Let’s see if someone else has positive tests to share about this.

Please test it under load…

https://www.webperformance.com/load-testing-tools/blog/2012/12/google-pagespeed-scalability-benchmark/

For a simple site their is always an performance boost but when the site is under load…

I will check on production sites as soon I see there are no downsides, thank you Eris :slight_smile:

1 Like

I did some tests and my conclusion is that enabling mod_pagespeed for Apache on my Hestia setup is pointless.

I tried with 5 websites on producttion env and enabling/disabling the module has a neutral impact on lighthouse score. We don’t use wordpress or joomla or drupal or other mainstream CMS (we do web applications but time to time clients ask to revamp or redo their websites and we use GRAV as CMS) and we achieve the same perfomance score (90 to 100) on lighthouse without pagespeed module enable, just by setting up best practices for website itself.

On Hestia side, for websites, I am using default settings, just some little mods for PHP backend template like openbasedir or timeouts, no special tricks.

So, because I like to keep things simple and standard, I will remove the module and I forget about that. :smiley:

Thanks to all!

1 Like

As I thought For good written websites the advantage is almost 0. And it might cost resources.

Bad made websites it may improve things so if you want to use it install it in 4 commands and you are done

Of course. You can never beat good code.

But this makes sense in the actual WordPress plugins ecosystem.

If you need it install it on your server…

The pagespeed score is a big SEO factor.

If for low traffic websites to sacrifice CPU for SEO can make perfect sense.

Of course, thank you for giving me your permission.

User can install Pagespeed them self if they need it. Hestia is meant to be lightweight…

Just to confirm that this is a team decission. Hestia is, as written multiple times, a tool for sysadmins which want to automate their hostings a bit and make their life easier. There is zero interrests in building a cpanel clone out of hestia or overload it with a lot of mods by default, which can be installed or configured within seconds.

1 Like

And that’s the reason it works almost flawlessly. Mod Pagespeed and similar modules are easy and fast fix but I wouldn’t recommend it for prolonged period of time.

2 Likes

@jlguerrero I found a way to upgrade nginx to another apt source that bundles ngx_pagespeed as a dynamic module that can be activated easily.
I posted a tutorial here: