Stopped receiving mail

Hello all. It has been a while. As the saying goes: “No news is Good news” I have not had any issues in quite a while. Until now!

I just realized that my two domains are no longer receiving mail. However, I can send mail without a hitch.

I use smtp2go and Dynu.com (Email Store/Forward & SMTP Outbound Relay)

Up until a few days ago everything was fine. I host HestiaCP on my own server on-premise. Absolutely nothing was changed at my end. SMTP2GO reports mail from my domains as delivered and Dynu’s Delivery Queue is empty. All required mail ports can be reached.

The folks at Dynu asked for a log file. What exactly do they need and how do I generate said log file from my mail server.

smtp2go activity

Please check your exim mainlog and mainlog.1 (yesterday’s mainlog)

root@host:~# cat /var/log/exim4/mainlog
&
root@host:~# cat /var/log/exim4/mainlog.1

Hello chris. Thank you so much for the prompt response. I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination. What should I be looking for? There is a lot of information there which I most definitely not be able to decipher.

What I did was to rename mainlog to mainlog.bak then deleted mainlog. I assumed that a new mainlog file would be created (which it was). I have attached the new mainlog file

new_mainlog

The log gives a black list notice…, are you trying to forward to gmail?

Rejected because xxx.xxx.xxx.xx is in a black list at zen.spamhaus.org

No merely sending a test email to one of my Gmail accounts. And I did receive all tests successfully. When I reply to the test email messages they are not reaching the email account that it was sent from. The one(s) being hosted locally by HestiaCP

My apologies I neglected to mention that I am using Cloudflare for DNS. Which has never caused me any issues.

I looked at the log file andI do not recognize the IP address that is in a blacklist at zen.spamhaus.org

UPDATE: Just performed an nslookup and it came back as:
name = mx1.wiredblade.com. I believe that is Dynu

Ok, i’m also no expert on hosting locally. Cloudflare shouldn’t be an issue i believe as long as you don’t proxy the mail dns settings. Perhaps you can use the search function and find a helpful answer/ suggestion elsewhere on this forum.

Will do chris. Thank you for your time and assistance. Much appreciated. Have a good one!

do this

1. check your ip on blacklist
  2. check your dkim dmarc spf
  3. check your domain name score
  4. test sent mail to another mail server except gmail or test on mxtoolbox deliverybility or mail-tester.com

Thank you for getting back to me @PakPos . Much appreciated. I came across a post where it was suggested that I execute the following command:

To remove spamhaus from the “dns blocklist”

sed -i “/zen.spamhaus.org/d” /etc/exim4/dnsbl.conf
systemctl restart exim4

Which appears to have resolved my issue. Stranegly enough though my IP did end up on the list in “Managed Bannes IP’s” Which is odd because I certainly did not put it there.

You are using a public dns

As in Cloudflare? In fact, I should mention that I am using Cloudflare’s Warp desktop client. Maybe not such a good idea?
Warp_Screenshot 2022-08-31 112954

On the server or on your own computer?

In the last case it doesn’t really matter

On my desktop PC

Check your error logs.

We can’t guess over here

Thank you @eris

See my response a few posts up where I say that my issue had been resolved thanks to this:

To remove spamhaus from the “dns blocklist”

sed -i “/zen.spamhaus.org/d” /etc/exim4/dnsbl.conf
systemctl restart exim4

Stranegly enough though my IP did end up on the list in “Managed Bannes IP’s” Which is odd because I certainly did not put it there.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.