V-backup user admin fails with Hestia 1.1.0

I am using a VPS with Debian 9.8, Fresh Install, 8 GB RAM, Quad Core, 40 GB SSD Disk

I am getting a fail when I run commando v-backup-user admin

– SYSTEM –
2020-01-18 19:39:19 admin.conf
2020-01-18 19:39:19 stats.log
2020-01-18 19:39:20 history.log
2020-01-18 19:39:20 pam

– WEB –
2020-01-18 19:39:20 hosting.superservidor.cl
grep: /usr/local/hestia/data/templates/web/apache2/php-fpm/default.tpl: No such file or directory
wc: /usr/local/hestia/data/templates/web/apache2/php-fpm/default.tpl: No such file or directory
Error: can’t parse template /usr/local/hestia/data/templates/web/apache2/php-fpm/default.tpl
root@hosting:~#

Hestia 1.1.0 is still beta, do not use it for productive systems.

Also please use github for issue reports, but it looks like there are the apache2 templates missing, which leads to a failed or partitial upgrade to 1.1.0. Please stick to 1.0.6 if you are not able to debug such issues.

1 Like

Iam using the normal installer on a new VPS, so the installer is installing version 1.1.0 and not 1.0.6

How can I install version 1.0.6 ?

Follow the docs and download the installer from release branch: https://github.com/hestiacp/hestiacp/blob/master/README.md#step-2-download

1 Like

Got it, thanks a lot !

I wanted to install the release version of Hestia, but I was using the install script wizard at https://gabizz.github.io/hestiacp-scriptline-generator and It is using the master branch instead !!!

1 Like

thanks for the feedback, that’s no official part of hestiacp though :wink:

2 Likes

Dear falzo

Some people like me that is just starting to work with HestiaCP are not experts so you guys must have patience and think that sometimes, like on this issue , new users like me does not know the difference between Master branch and Release branch.

I think that if the gabizz scriptline generator is offered on Hestia site for users as an easy to use script install generator, It should not induce to new users to make mistakes like install the Master (developer´s branch) instead of the Release (stable) branch instead.

Maybe someone could add a note to the script about that it is using the Master branch…

at GitHub - hestiacp/hestiacp: Hestia Control Panel | A lightweight and powerful control panel for the modern web.

where it says

Alternatively, @gabizz has made available a command-line script generator at https://gabizz.github.io/hestiacp-scriptline-generator/ which allows you to easily generate the installation command via GUI.

I see. I did not remember that it is mentioned there (and also not that it references the master branch anyway). as said that generator script is not part of the official HestiaCP repo, so we cannot guarantue it’s correctness or that it will be maintained in the future.
as you suggested I send in a pull request to change the wording in the readme. however, if it leads to the same problem in the future, we most likely have to remove the link completely.

2 Likes

Thank you very much !

Sorry guys… gabizz here :slight_smile:
I was really busy running my company (where I am a one-man-show, btw)… I hope I’ve fixed today all your issues. For the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly or just add an issue on github… i admit I haven’t been realy active on this forum…

have a nice day!
g.

another idea, aside removing it from the docs, would be “contact the developer” :slight_smile: I am sure he will be more than glad to fix the issues. (that would be me, sorry for my absence here, but there are plenty of ways to reach me :slight_smile: ) The installation script was a one-afternoon play, anyway…whenever I will find some spare time, I promise to completely rewrite it (react/material-ui probably, to provide some cross-browser compatibility)…

2 Likes

hehe, thanks @gabizz and no offense meant. we don’t expect you to spend your free time on keeping track, which would be the same for any third party offering something at some point in time :wink:

we of course appreciate every additional work people do in their spare time to help the small but growing community - so, thank you!

3 Likes