Apt-get update && apt-get upgrade aborts, may be symptom of larger problem

Hi All,

I have a dedicated server (Ubuntu 18.0.4) running Hestia that I wanted to add a new user to this morning. First issue when logging into the CP was the LetsEncrypt SSL had expired and not auto-renewed; quickly solved by logging in to the terminal and running v-add-letsencrypt-host

I added the user and their main web domain, but because that domain will be still pointing at their old provider until their new site is developed I wanted to add a subdomain alias to my admin domain (ie, newclient.mydomain.net) so I can access it during development. That failed with the error ‘DNS domain mydomain.net exists’ - which is odd, since I’ve used that method before for dev sites.

Anyway, I thought it might be because the Hestia CP version is a few versions behind the current release, so I tried apt-get update && apt-get upgrade, but when it got to ‘Do you want to continue? [Y/n]’, regardless of whether I type Y, y or just press enter, it comes back with ‘Abort’.

Looking through the logs, the only slightly suspicious thing is that multiple services appear to be restarting quite frequently, particularly nginx which seems to restart every few minutes.

The websites and mail services on the server all seem to be running fine, but these issues in the backend make me wonder if there’s not a bigger problem going on.

Any ideas where I should be looking next to try and figure out what’s going on?

Cheers

Pete

What version do you currently have?

First issue when logging into the CP was the LetsEncrypt SSL had expired and not auto-renewed; quickly solved by logging in to the terminal and running v-add-letsencrypt-host

Know issue it was patched in https://github.com/hestiacp/hestiacp/blob/main/CHANGELOG.md#158---service-release

I added the user and their main web domain, but because that domain will be still pointing at their old provider until their new site is developed I wanted to add a subdomain alias to my admin domain (ie, newclient.mydomain.net) so I can access it during development. That failed with the error ‘DNS domain mydomain.net exists’ - which is odd, since I’ve used that method before for dev sites.

We have added an “Feature” to prevent adding domain.com or sub.domain.com to an other user account. You can disable this in the settings:

Strange …

Currently have 1.5.3, so sounds like the 1.5.8 release will solve the LetsEncrypt issue.

Thanks for pointing out the new feature, I’ll take a look at that.

And yes, strange - just ran apt update && apt upgrade -y and it seems to be ticking along now.

Many thanks for the feedback

Pete

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.