Backup import in the Panel

Hello,

i wanted to import a backup from another one to a new server and saved the .tar in /backup. However, the file is not recognized in the panel.

Furthermore, I once imported a backup in the panel which I also created there. However, in the backup folder were created any number of temporary folders, “tmp.yhcCw2mBd6”, tmp.EmeQfyu1Of, etc. 37 temporary folders of this type. How can it be?

check this link: Resolved re: Restore admin backup from another Hestia or Vesta server

1 Like

i don’t understand why it is made so complicated :grin:. why is there no easy way without any commands? upload backup to /backup and import, too bad it is not that easy :unamused:.

backups can only be restored via the control panel IF they’ve been created on that same server itself. To restore an uploaded bkp, CLI command is the right way.

Hestia team may consider for upload bkp via web ui. Im not sure the complexity of the large file uploading tasks…

1 Like

A upload and restore of backups over the webinterface is not planed.

I don’t understand what you mean, basicly it is “just” upload to the backup directory, then restore the user using v-restore-user - that’s all :slight_smile:.

Web ui is php is it?
If i want to upload my user bkp, which has 5gb of tar size. It may take about an hours to upload on most cases.

Is hestia’s php script can wait with that session?

As already wrote: We’re not going to implement a backup upload function over the webinterface - the backup should be transfered over sftp or other ways.

To answer your question; yes, it’s php and the session timer could be adjusted.

i have restore but a big error:

– WEB –
2020-05-28 19:04:31 domain.to
cp: cannot stat ‘/usr/local/hestia/data/users/myuser/ssl/domain.crt’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/usr/local/hestia/data/users/myuser/ssl/domain.key’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/usr/local/hestia/data/users/myuser/ssl/domain.pem’: No such file or directory
Error: apache2 restart failed
Error: Web restart failed
i have restart the server but apache and nginx can not restart. my mainpage is off :frowning_face:

Check why the restart fails with systemctl status nginx/apache2?

systemctl status nginx
● nginx.service - nginx - high performance web server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nginx.service; enabled; vendor preset: en
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Thu 2020-05-28 19:51:02 CEST; 30s ag
Docs: http://nginx.org/en/docs/
Process: 7555 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/nginx -c /etc/nginx/nginx.conf (code=exited,

I deleted the domain that was restored and now everything works. Very funny.

Hello @Meister sorry to hear you are having difficulties. But I’m afraid your post is missing environment and debug info.

I would start checking what’s wrong with the SSL as a missing ssl certificate is a reason for apache/nginx to quit during startup:

systemctl shown nginx is not running, but why he failing? use journalctl -u nginx, or journalctl -xe to find out.

Were was the backup taken? Vesta, Hestia ? What version? On which version of Hestia are you doing the restore?

A request for help should contain at least all this data as a starting point otherwise it gets frustrating for all parties involved pretty quick :wink:

the backup was from the same version of hestiacp it was imported in. it looked like a host problem but i don’t know exactly. however, the problem is solved for now by deleting the domain. i will import it manually the old-fashioned way.

edit:

your theory that it was ssl could also be true.

– WEB –
2020-05-28 19:04:31 domain.to
cp: cannot stat ‘/usr/local/hestia/data/users/myuser/ssl/domain.crt’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/usr/local/hestia/data/users/myuser/ssl/domain.key’: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat ‘/usr/local/hestia/data/users/myuser/ssl/domain.pem’: No such file or directory
Error: apache2 restart failed
Error: Web restart failed

See

Can replicate the issue on both versions.

If you could please add some additional information please add them those can be useful with testing

Please check the first post. This topic was not discussed here at all:

“Furthermore, I once imported a backup in the panel which I also created there. However, in the backup folder were created any number of temporary folders, “tmp.yhcCw2mBd6”, tmp.EmeQfyu1Of, etc. 37 temporary folders of this type. How can it be?”

The tmp folders are just extracts of the backup of the tar folder and because the script quits somewhere before the completion the files are never cleaned up. No the cause of the error how ever the result of the cleanup fails and probally you ran the command at least 37 times…

Information a “it doesn’t work without debug information” is for us useless not because we can’t see with our magical glass globes what is happening on your server. With the information you have provided we have decided to try it by our self however still more information is needed.

Cloud you please check the folllowing:

1. What is your server OS? Both servers and the old and the new server?
  2. Version of Hestia did you upgrade the server or not from a older version?
  3. What is your install string on both servers?
  4. Create a new user account on the old server add a new domain to it and request a ssl certificate. Import this backup file into the new server

If the import fails please do the following:

1. Please check the new tmp.randomstring file and check the contents of restore.log
  2. Please run the command journalctl -xe and systemctl status nginx / systemctl status apache2

On line 6 of the v-restore-user script in /usr/local/hestia/bin/ add on line 6 the following command

set -x

Then run the command v-restore-user again

The copy the screen output to the save it on your server some where and send me a pm with the url. Also if possible please upload the backup file. Off course we will handle the personal info with care.

Only whit more information we can discover / find the cause of the error and help others in the future.

1 Like

Sorry I can’t provide you with all the information you need.

it was on both servers 18.04.4 with current updates installed with the same current hestiacp version without update from an older version. i had installed hestiacp on the server where i had imported the backup later. on the soldered server where the export took place there was strangely enough hestiacp 1.1.2 although this version is not yet released. This curiosity has already been posted here in the forum.

my installation string on both servers is: bash hst-install.sh --multiphp yes -f -y no -e [email protected] -p password -s hostname.domain

I hope you can solve this problem.

1 Like

Did the user exists before restoring on the server?

yes and it was the same username.

Was the plan to overwrite all settings? I usualy do a v-delete-user before restore it.

1 Like

I cannot delete the user because there is already a domain running with the user ( main domain ). I only wanted to import a subdomain that was on an old test server.