Command to copy backup files to Backblaze

Hestia recently added support for Backblaze. For those who might not know, Backblaze gives 10 GB of free storage. If you need even more storage, their price is about one third the price of AWS, Azure or Google. I am hoping that whoever added this wonderful feature can provide us with the commands needed or a brief tutorial for those of us who would like to automatically store a copy of our Hestia user and admin backup files on Backblaze.

Probably not what you’re after, but I just use a piece of software called restic, and a bash script run by crontab. The advantage of this approach over the built-in hestia version, is that instead of producing one, large tar.gz file per user per day, you can make an incremental backup, which is much more space efficient.
The basic form is very simple (mine has a few bells and whistles, but this is basically it)

#!/bin/bash

# KeyID on Backblaze
export B2_ACCOUNT_ID="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
# Application Key on Backblaze
export B2_ACCOUNT_KEY="yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy"
export RESTIC_REPOSITORY="b2:my-unique-reponame"
export RESTIC_PASSWORD="zzzzzzzzzzzzzz"

RESTIC=/usr/local/bin/restic

# Backup files
$RESTIC backup /home/user/path1/ 
$RESTIC backup /home/user/path2/ 
$RESTIC backup /home/user/path1/ 

## Clean up
export B2_ACCOUNT_ID=""
export B2_ACCOUNT_KEY=""
export RESTIC_REPOSITORY=""
export RESTIC_PASSWORD=""

Once a week I’ll run the prune command, hopefully self explanatory:

$RESTIC forget --prune --verbose --keep-daily 7 --keep-weekly 4 --keep-monthly 6

With this in place it will keep 7 daily snapshots, 4 weekly snapshots and 6 monthly snapshots, allowing me to roll back any file to the version present in any of those snapshots, while keeping the whole size of the repository just a little larger than a single Hestia tar.gz file.

Anyway, I’m sure someone will be along shortly to let you know how the built-in version works. I’d imagine it just needs the two Backblaze keys inserted somewhere.

OK, so in Hestia control pane, go to Server (cog icon) > Configure (button)
https://myhost.com:8083/edit/server/

In the backup section, you can select Remote and then Backblaze, and then you have three boxes to fill in.
Bucket
Application ID (KeyID)
Application Key

You need to set up a bucket first in Backblaze and issue an Application Key for it, obviously.

1 Like

Thank you very much. This was exactly what I needed. I will try both options!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.