DNS Cache - How to clear?

I seem to have a cached DNS entry for a domain and is causing email to fail. Hestia is using Google DNS

root@myserv:/# cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
nameserver 2001:4860:4860::8888
nameserver 2001:4860:4860::8844

When I tried to send an email to email address [email protected] , the DNS propagation for the MX records hadn’t finalised by Google and since then I keep getting:

root@myserv:~# exim -bt [email protected]
[email protected] is undeliverable: Unrouteable address

The domain has fully propagated but I cannot get Hestia/EXIM to update it. I have rebooted the server, restarted BIND and EXIM multiple times and no success.

Any suggestions?

You are not using a local dns cache, you are using Google’s DNS resolvers so there is nothing to flush in your side and you already reboot the server…

When you execute these commands do you see the expected result?

dig +trace yourdomain.tld mx +nodnssec +short
dig +trace mail.yourdomain.tld +nodnssec +short
2 Likes

Thank you @sahsanu for the reply. After continued investigation I found the issue. It wasn’t the Google DNS as you said.

The issue was the domain had been created in hestia and email had been configured but with no user accounts. Since this domain has outsourced the email to Microsoft, I deleted the email domain in the GUI and the problem was resolved.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.