DNS Cluster slave deletes dns after few minutes

Security, availability, multi server setup.

If you intend to have 1 server with just a few domains its probably not worth while. I use DNS cluster mainly because i have multiple servers and do plan to add more in the near future. This setup allows me to maintain only 2 name servers across all the servers so its also easier to manage domains and migrate them between nodes if 1 server is down or something like that.

1 Like

Forgive my stupid questions, but I prefer to ask them so I can understand the logic.
That is. if we have DNS Cluster servers configured:
ns1.mydnsserver.com - ip: 127.0.0.1
ns2.mydnsserver.com - ip: 127.0.0.1

and

ns1.mysparednsserver.com - ip: 127.0.0.1
ns2.mysparednsserver.com - ip: 127.0.0.1

this means that if the visitor fails to connect to:

It will be redirected to:

ns1.mysparednsserver.com - ip: 127.0.0.1
ns2.mysparednsserver.com - ip: 127.0.0.1

And it will load the server located at 127.0.0.1 ? (as long as itā€™s alive and active)

If I understand correctly, this could mean that in the first option

Domain went down or was attacked for some reason or just expired (as funny as that sounds) and is being transferred to the second domain with NS records? And here comes the question, is it possible to display a message like:

Host - works (that is, my computer from which I try to visit H.com)
NS Server 1 - working
NS Server 2 - working
H.com hosting is not working

There is no need to host multiple DNS servers to the same ipā€¦

For example:

There is no reason Mohave them point to the same server ip:

If you have 3 Hestia server servers:

1. Web / Mail / Primary DNS
  2. DNS Server 1
  3. DNS Server 2

In case DNS server 1 or DNS server 2 fails DNS will remain active

If the web server fails you can simple restore a backup on a new server and update DNS settings to the new server. And down time will be limited.

For example:

VestaCP went down for 5 days after they forgot to pay the domain provider when the server came live it took up to 24 till most users can connectā€¦

If multiple DNS servers where available this time can bereduced to only 10 minā€¦

1 Like

My dns cluster setup as multiple machines with different IP addresses. Not sure why your example has same IP. Each dns server primary and secondary will store the same DNS Zones, the advantage of this is if 1 of the server goes down either 1 will still host the dns zones. This can be useful for receiving emails.

If 1 of the servers went offline for an extended period of time, i will pull a backup from the remote backup server and restore it on another server, because the setup uses the same ā€œname serversā€ i dont have to update the ns at the domain. I should be able to get it up and running within hours if such a scenario happen.

1 Like

Thanks about information.

I have a Master - 3x Slave setup using the API keys, working just fine.
However, when I try to switch to DNSSEC (using all the correct settings), the 3x slave server delete the entries as soon as they are received successfully from the master server. So the synching goes well, but then the records get deleted (not the domain names, those remain). Switching back to a normal 1x Master ā†’ 3x Slaves all is working fine.

Just now I got the tip to create unique DNS Sync users instead - will try and update this post.

For DNSSEC set up make sure it is setup like this:

To verify it is working:

On the slave:
/usr/local/hestia/data/user/user/dns.conf

SLAVE=ā€œYESā€ and MASTER=ā€œserver.ip.of.masterā€

If you check /home/{user}/conf/dns/domain.db you should see some encode mangleā€¦

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.