DNS records mistakes

Hestia works very well in my installation and I really like it.
My questions are regarding the DNS records that Hestia creates automatically.

1. Why the TXT records value have quotation marks around the text. As far as I know it is not legal.

2. I do not have any effect of these records while checking in https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#CNAME/

Thank you

As far as I know, illegal or not they work fine.

I don’t understand your question.

Thank you jlguerrero.

I do not see those records on Google tool https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig

Hi

The content of a DNS TXT type record is always displayed with double quotes, but those quotes are not part of the record content. They are there for display purposes only, so you can distinguish the content start and end, since a TXT type record is allowed to contain whitespace characters.

Source: 5 common mistakes with SPF - Mailhardener blog

Hestia configures it properly, also when I validate my own records as shown in the example. Are you sure, that you’re using the hestia own dns service? You also can validate the records directly on your webserver using dig @hostname.domain.tld domain.com TXT (which hostname should be the one of your webserver).

Thank you ScIT

I know very well this resource 5 common mistakes.
Below is the full quote. Please note the bold line:

The content of a DNS TXT type record is always displayed with double quotes, but those quotes are not part of the record content. They are there for display purposes only, so you can distinguish the content start and end, since a TXT type record is allowed to contain whitespace characters.

Therefore, it is common for email services which instruct you how to set up your SPF to show those quotes in the example. You should not include those quotes in the record.

The SPF standard states that the SPF record must begin with v=spf1 , so if your record starts with "v=spf1 (note the quote) it will not be recognized.

Furthermore (1), when you check a quoted record on https://mxtoolbox.com/emailhealth/ram.li/ you get an error.

Furthermore (2) when you check quoted record on https://toolbox.googleapps.com/apps/dig/#TXT/, instead of v=spf1 you get numbers surrounded the record, i.e. not compatible with the last line of the above quote.

Furthermore (3), I use Amazon SES. In order to verify my domain Amazon requires to setup one TXT record and three CNAME records. All of them are quoted on Amazon site. Innocently, I copy/paste them to the records on my registrar (Namecheap) site. After 3 days Amazon did not approve them. I removed the quotes and my domain was approved after one hour.

Therefore, I suggest to remove the quotes from Hestia records :+1:

I’m not able to reproduce this on my domains, hosting more than 150 on my nameservers, including mail, ms office365 validation and dkim settings. Can you share the raw dns zone, you’ll find it under /home/user/conf/dns/domain.tld.db aswell as your system informations like the used hestia install string, hestia version and os version from your host and your cluster dns servers?

I assume it is on the list/mail and then the dns records page…

Right now I trust the records on Namecheap. They were approved by their top expert and gave me the right results on Amazon and on the other tools I mentioned in my last post.

Hestia keeps all the TXT records with quotation marks even if I remove and save on the console. Meaning, on the Hestia console they are without quotations but in /home/user/conf/dns/domain.tld.db they are with quotations.
For example: On
@ 14400 IN TXT “v=spf1 a mx ip4:my_ip -all”
_amazonses 14400 IN TXT “Amazon_code_xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx”

I am on automatic updates of Hestia. Right now:
hestia core package 1.4.9 (amd64)
hestia-php php interpreter 7.4.21 (amd64)
hestia-nginx internal web server 1.19.10 (amd64)

Server OS version
Description: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
Release: 20.04

VestaCP - 7 years old. HestiaCP - 2 years. During this time, you are the first one who has problems with quotation marks. :yawning_face:

In the config files double quotes are required! So it is fully to the current standard. However some providers decide to users to enter them with out them and add them their self…

In the link provided:

The content of a DNS TXT type record is always displayed with double quotes, but those quotes are not part of the record content. They are there for display purposes only, so you can distinguish the content start and end, since a **TXT** type record is allowed to contain whitespace characters.

I can’t change the standard so this is correct…

Unfortunately, some DNS providers require you to add the quotes when pasting**, and some don’t.** This leads to confusion, the most common advice we give: try to paste without the quotes and if that is not accepted, add the quotes.