Exim4 Not Working | NEW

Hello everyone,

I recently encountered an issue with my project, which involves an SMTP connection and a system for sending verification codes. While everything worked flawlessly on my localhost setup, I ran into problems after uploading the project to a server.

Issue Details:

• The verification code mail, which are crucial for user validation, are not being delivered after the project was moved to the server.
  • To diagnose the issue, I checked the logs but found them cluttered with numerous entries. In an attempt to simplify the analysis, I cleared the contents of the Exim4 and Dovecot logs, including mainlog, mainlog.1, rejectlog, rejectlog.1, and dovecot.log.
  • After clearing the logs I now have a new problem and exim4 is not working.

I’m seeking advice or suggestions on how to resolve this issue. Has anyone experienced a similar problem, or does anyone have insights on troubleshooting steps that could be effective in this scenario? Any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!

systemctl status exim4

I guess hestia doesn’t see exim4

If I delete exim4 and reinstall it will it work or will it be worse?

Delete panic.log in /var/log/exim4/

And restart the service?

What is the contents of /var/log/exim4/paniclog?

2023-12-04 21:48:16 exim 4.95 daemon started: pid=18694, -q30m, listening for SMTP on port 25 (IPv4) port 587 (IPv4) and for SMTPS on port 465 (IPv4)
2023-12-04 21:48:16 Cannot open main log file “/var/log/exim4/mainlog”: Permission denied: euid=116 egid=122
2023-12-04 21:48:29 exim 4.95 daemon started: pid=19378, -q30m, listening for SMTP on port 25 (IPv4) port 587 (IPv4) and for SMTPS on port 465 (IPv4)
2023-12-04 21:48:29 Cannot open main log file “/var/log/exim4/mainlog”: Permission denied: euid=116 egid=122

Error is clear …

touch /var/log/exim4/mainlog
and chown Debian-exim adm mainlog

Do the same for reject log
And then clear panic log again

1 Like

I gave all the permissions, I think it’s working now

thank you bro,

now let’s come to our main problem. when I run the project with localhost, mail goes to the user after registration. but when I upload the project to the server, the mail does not go. I do not change any settings, I did not touch the smtp settings. what is the problem?

Check the headers why it fails it may be an issue with ip reputation / blacklisted ip. In that case use SMTP relay like smtp2go to fixe the issue

check/var/log/exim4/mainlog what happens…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.