Fresh installation default domain name

Fresh installation default domain name better to be $HOSTNAME instead of servername="$servername.example.com"'

It seems this changing my ubuntu 20.04 - servers hosts file as no.example.com

Ref : hst-install-ubuntu.sh Line 596

So far I know it should be working fine:

1 Like

During install you will get this message:

Would you like to continue with the installation? [Y/N]: Y

Please use a valid hostname according to RFC1178 (ex. hostname.domain.tld).

So check your install string

Using the IP address as hostname is no longer permissible?

Yes… It is

Hi Eris,
I think I am not following something here. This is because there are too many changes in Hestia and I have not had the time to see all this.

I am using the main IP to access hestia. So what does this mean “Using the IP address as hostname is no longer permissible?”. You said that this is possible, right? Or just the opposite?

I wonder if one could use a domain or subdomain to access hestia. I think that is what the user @MAN5 asked, right? Or do I follow there wrong?

Can one install Hestia on a subdomain? This has been not known to me because all my admin scripts bind to my router or allow my router IP. That is why I did not bother to look into this. But if I know this, and that it works, I would like to use it.

Thanks.

It was in the past possible but it caused bug in issues with mail if it was enabled.

So to make sure a valid hostname was used we added a check that prevent users to enter an ip address when installing Hestia …

Hestia works fine on sub.domain.com:8083 as demo.hestiacp.com is also allows you to use a valid SSL certificate instead of a self signed one

Many thanks Eris for taking time to answer.

Dumb me in half asleep! I tried to see if it works on my custom port and waited for a few minutes to see that it does not. My question was thoughtless. I remember now that I had checked before 5-7 years and now remember why I did not use it anymore.

Because of Cloudflare. So, either I use those specific ports, and then it will work, or access through the main IP. But it is good to know or remember. I will now keep this in mind.

It is the preferred method.

Just point your DNS resolution to the subdomain and set the hostname.

maybe you can bind the IP to the hostname in your hosts file.

Thanks @jlguerrero.

As I use Cloudflare, there are restrictions. Firstly, one has to use specific port to allow the proxy traffic over Cloudflare. Secondly, only personal certificate will work because Lets Encrypt is prohibited on Cloudflare on subdomains.

So when I make a change in my bash framework to manage server cluster automated, I will remember this and implement.

Hi,

Just got the list of ports that are now current and allowed here:

HTTPS ports supported by Cloudflare

So if one enters these ports in the conf of Hestia, it should work as the traffic will go through proxy traffic ports that are non-standard ports. AND you have to use a personal SSL certificate, if using a subdomain. On Maindomain, LET/SSL is allowed.

Hope this helps someone, though a bit off topic.

I meant the hosts file on your local PC.

So you can bind the hostname to the IP locally only for your PC.

Sorry, I fail to understand. I have no hestia on my local PC and never had one. I know how to bind an IP to a domain (did this boring work since 22 years). BTW, all my domains and subdomains spread accross continents are bound to different set of IP to resolve for CDN. So of course I know how to bind.

Still, I could not follow your answer of binding locally. Do you mean to redirect locally while the subdomain is bount to its Ip, or?

Edit: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts and bind your server IP to hestia.domain.com

SSH your server and set as hostname hestia.domain.com

Then open your browser and visit: https://hestia.domain.com:8083

I think now I understand that you did not understand what i have been talking about.

I am already using such local caching mechanism by using Acrylic DNS proxy. In the AcrylicHosts.txt, I have 75.000 entries that blocks domains locally. There is a further filterat the first tier-router level. The second tier-router redirects to the DNS resolver. Thereafter, I have a local DNS resolver that controls outbound connections on the network.

As you see my friend, my local config is far too complex and i have an agressive control on outbound connections. there isnt a connection that goes out without my vigilence. I have been using such a complex local configuration against survellence since decades, much before the Snowden blast.

No. In my case your suggestion shall not work. It will also not work, even if i dance and jump on my head. This is a restriction imposed by Cloudflare, which allows traffic on limited ports llisted in the link above.

But I have no questions and need no help. I can handle such tiny problems and will implement later. Thanks though.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.