FYI: Nginx-ee for unsupported nginx version / naxsi WAF, pagespeed, rtmp

Test on your own install at your own risk and you need to edit the Nginx config file with Hestia specific requirements

Have been playing around with Ubuntu 20.04 install with Hestia 1.2.0 and can confirm Nginx-ee works adding the following features listed, I did find in the Hestia update status still showed older version but that is to be expected it not showing Nginx 1.19.0. Can restart Nginx and edit configs in Hestia panel

Have tested after install and everything is working that was installed, selected OpenSSL from system and added brotli config in nginx config. update to another dev branch did not overwrite settings.

Used app installer for Wordpress which worked fine.

You can choose to auto update by installing the cron job.

• Compile the latest Nginx releases : stable or mainline
  • Install Nginx or replace Nginx package previously installed
  • Nginx built-in modules selection
  • Nginx Third-party modules selection
  • Dynamic modules support
  • Brotli Support
  • TLS v1.3 support (Final)
  • OpenSSL (1.1.1g or 3.0.0-dev or from system-lib) or LibreSSL
  • Cloudflare HPACK
  • Cloudflare zlib
  • Automated nginx updates cronjob
  • Compilation with GCC-7/8
  • Security hardening and performance optimization enabled with proper GCC flags

Compatibility

Recommended

• Ubuntu 20.04 LTS (Focal)
  • Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (Bionic)
  • Debian 10 (Buster)

Also compatible

• Ubuntu 19.10 (Eoan)
  • Debian 9 (Stretch)

Nginx-ee

GitHub - VirtuBox/nginx-ee: Automated Nginx compilation from sources with additional modules support. Compatible with WordOps, EasyEngine & Plesk

3 Likes

Very intresting just did some testing and install went without mayor issues…

1 Like

Currently wanted to to test ngx_purge_cache for ages and with this it easy nothing maybe need to spend some time to improve it more…

If install has an error at the end you just need to make a folder and restart Nginx

mkdir /var/lib/nginx/

Works fine after that, have tested pretty much all features in Hestia once Nginx is replaced and everything works

WoW! Thanks for sharing. I am interested more on naxsi WAF as I am using ModSecurity by customized way.

1 Like

Have been using this solution on a the same vps since I started this topic without issue (no bugs in Hestia or any site problems) Nginx has updated to 1.19.1 since install which has not been overwritten with Hestia updates (just updated to 1.2.1 beta now)

1 Like

Hestia doesn’t over write the software packages (Except phpmyadmin)

Only possibility that it over writes the default templates and rebuild the config
of the users

I have not encountered any problems with default templates or with custom templates used. Rebuilding the user config no problem as well.

For me it is a stable drop in replacement for default Nginx installed by Hestia. original nginx.conf was kept. just have to create the extra config files if using additional options like Brotli, Pagespeed, WAF if not wanting to edit/add to default nginx.conf.

Wordpress works fine, I use Opencart 2.3.0.2 and latest 3.0.3.6 though.
I don’t like Wordpress though and don’t use it but tested it with Woocommerce and Nginx cache plugin.

I find this proposal great. You could give further instructions on how to install a new version of Nginx or how you installed it in your case. I have reviewed the github link but I have not been able to understand how to install and configure so that everything works well. Thank you very much in advance.

@AlexMKTD the command to install is listed on the github page, I use the interactive install.
This method may not be suitable if needing help to configure and best to stick with standard version shipped with Hestia as installs will not be exactly the same eg os version, installed services, configuration etc.

bash <(wget -O - vtb.cx/nginx-ee || curl -sL vtb.cx/nginx-ee) --interactive

As I am not the developer of this I can not provide support for it . My nginx.conf was untouched and just located the .conf files location and made own extra settings from original ones.

1 Like

Well in advance thanks. I saw it interesting because it mentions that the pagespeed and nginx mode and I was interested in trying it to give more speed to my websites. Or is it that just using the Nginx-ee gives more speed? But if you have any additional advice, I will gladly receive it.
my Ubuntu 20.04 installation
Hestia 1.2.0
nginix 1.19.1

@AlexMKTD just installing Nginx-ee will not increase website speed you need to fine tune it to your requirements and server resources. You are better off learning yourself how to configure your server rather than someones else configuration because if something breaks you will know what to look for as you would have learnt along the way what you have done.

There are many guides available through google but start off here

Tuning NGINX for Performance - NGINX

Also use a test server or vps not your live server with websites, there are plenty of cloud providers like OVH, DigitalOcean or Vultr that have trial credits available and spin up one the same or closet to your live resources.

2 Likes