Hestiacp 1.3 Optimization

I have installed hestiacp 1.3 on a Intel® Xeon® E-2136 CPU @ 3.30GHz server with 32 GB LPDDR4 and on 1 GBPS network.

I am based out of India, and server is based out of London.

The server has a wordpress installation with 18000 articles and the hestiacp is installed with nginx and apache.

The server has a very small traffic of 1800-2000 co-current users as per google analytics and even with this small traffic the server hangs.

The website stops responding and the server also creates issue, the load on the server goes very high.

Can someone guide me, how to optimize it for better performance.

I am really surprised that with just 2000 cocurrent users the server and website hangs so badly.

1 Like
  1. Enable redis cache
  2. Enable Nginx proxy cache
  3. Check all plugins crap so it doesn’t use sessions of cookie when it is not pessary
  4. Enjoy fast Wordpress.

Hestia issn’t the issue it is commonly Wordpress (plugins) that are the cause of the issue

Can you provide me the step by step process/method for the same including its complete end to end integration with wordpress?

I’m sorry, but the idea behind this forum isnt to provide custom step by step tutorials for users. We’re here to provide help for users, which have issue with hestia or related questions. Basicly your question is related to hestia, but you ask for a step to step guide without any prior work done.

For redis cache, spin up google and do a search request, it will give you a tutorial which leads you to the first steps, in combination with the custom template docs of hestia you can get it working. If not, please share where you are stuck and we will help. But we do clearly not provide a step by step guide for your request - if you can’t handle it, probaly think about to hire a sysadmin for that job.

4 Likes
1 Like

Good Hardware does not mean you can throw in anything on it and it will run fast… No it doesn’t. Optimisation is a process, not a single point task. If you have bad code, inefficient DB queries, un-handled code exceptions, it will create bottlenecks and problems no matter how much hardware you feed it with.

Wordpress sometime may be bogged down to some nasty plugins or bad theme code which need cleanup / upgrade. First check if Core / plugins / Themes are all upgraded to latest versions and are running on PHP 7.4

First things is to check your logs specifically at the time when your load average crosses much. Identify what is taking up those cpu cycles, is it PHP thread or MySQL process ?
This way you first isolate what is causing the spike and then isolate what exact step / process / page / query is causing it and then work out with your developer to fine tune it.

Redis and other caching will help… however they also add management overhead which you might not be familiar with right now. It would be great to control the spike causing process in the code / queries and then work your way up to caching enhancements.

I think the following should be done:

1. Stop using apache and install the nginx + php-fpm
  2. Use php 7.4 recommended by WordPress developers
  3. Enable php-opcache in php settings in php.ini file
  4. Install Redis and set up integration with WordPress using the Redis Object Cache plugin
  5. In WordPress, disable the automatic launch of the wp-cron.php scheduler and configure it to run on schedule in the CRON task scheduler in HestiaCP
  6. In WordPress, use plugin “Merge + Minify + Refresh” to minify and combine CSS / JS
  7. Remove Yoast SEO, and use the lighter weight plugin The SEO Framework instead
  8. Install plugin “Speed ​​Up - Clean WP” to disable scripts comment-reply.min.js, jquery-migrate.js, embeds and emoji
  9. Use the plugin for database optimization "Optimize Database after Deleting Revisions"
  10. Use CloudFlare for your site.
7 Likes

What I tried today was little strange, when I checked my server, I found that the issue was with php-fpm that was taking the maximum server load and server load went to 8. I somehow disabled apache for sometime for testing and the load went down to .06

Again when I again enabled apache, the load again went high.

What should I do??

or get a syadmin which help you out to debug and optimize the server. I’m not sure how you “disabled” apache2, but probaly your load went down because the website stopped working. .

Probably, its better if the hestia devs start offering paid support options for noobs.

1 Like

We don’t have the time currently to do paid support we have side jobs next to it. It could be an software development or even an hosting / IT support company but un less the users are will to pay 75 to 100 euro / hour for it I will consider it but I think it will be to expensive for most users…

3 Likes

You are correct.

But, you guys are doing terrific job and hestiacp seems to be one of the best open source alternatives currently available.

Keep up the good job guys!

3 Likes

@eris is right about the paid support thing :slight_smile:.
@nboy thanks for the warm words!

1 Like

Thanks a lot brother!

Edit: could you provide the url to set wp-cron.php from CRON task scheduler in HestiaCP

First you need to disable automatic startup wp-cron.php in WordPress. To do this, open the file wp-config.php and at the beginning of the file below the <?php line, add the constant:

define (‘DISABLE_WP_CRON’, true);

After logging in to the HestiaCP panel and the CRON section, add the task and enter the command:

/usr/bin/curl -O https://example.com/wp-cron.php >/dev/null 2>&1

and specify a time interval every 10 minutes. Instead of example.com specify the domain of your site.

Some that I have heard or read about are

1. Plugin based cache like Wp supercache, w3total cache, rocket cache

2. Object Cache Like Redis & Memcache

3. Server Side Cache like Nginx FastCGI Cache

4. Cloudflare CDN Based Cache with page rules?

5. Browser based cache

6. Varnish Cache

Am I missing Something?

Which one is the best, most appropriate and fastest cache if the website is completely static without any login for the visitors, only the admin, sub-admin would login to the website to upload articles, news, content on the website.

The website should load fast with good ratings on gmetrix, pingdom, webpagetest and should not have any load on the web server.

You have already a thread about it, why creating a new one?