How often to update?

how often do you run apt update and apt upgrade on debian (for debian)?
is it okay to run it weekly ?
last time i ran update and upgrade was about 2 weeks ago.
hestia shows is up to date.

Every day (several times). If there is a security patch you don’t want to have the services exposed with that security hole for one or two weeks.

4 Likes

i use “apticron” on my server. It sends me every day an email with available updates.

4 Likes

I gotta second this – apticron is literally one of the first things I install on my Hestia machines running Debian. This way you never miss knowing about an update including how severe it is and what the update contains.

@alinux always update and reboot when necessary.

1 Like

I use the unattended-upgrades package configured to automatically install security updates.

I used to use apticron before I switched to unattended-upgrades. It was a good solution, too.

2 Likes

How long have you been running this setup and did you ever encounter an issue with incompatibilities or broken stuff (hestia, wordpress etc.)? Thanks!

1 Like

I don’t know exactly when I switched to unattended-upgrades. It was sometime in the twenty teens, so at least five years. I only install security updates automatically. It was my default by the time I started using HestiaCP. I have had no issues with it on hosts with HestiaCP and WordPress. YMMV

1 Like