How to escalate HestiaCP when you have a lot (750+) of websites?

Hi to all!
I am managing a server with 650 users (750 webdomains with low traffic), with DNS, email and databases, most of the sites are wordpress.
The server specs are a dedicated server with 12 cores CPU, 64GB of RAM, 1.8TB main disk and 3TB backup disk.
I am using HestiaCP, and it works very nice (previously i was using vesta). I am a big fan of this control panel.
Most likely i will need to upgrade my current server because new users are being added every month. Its not the first time that i am dealing with a server upgrade.

The question is:
What is the right way to escalate HestiaCP?
This question i think is more sys admin related than to the panel it self.
Do you recommended to keep using a bigger server or to split into separate servers each one with a maximum number of users?
Or maybe split php, mysql, email, dns into separate boxes?
What is the ideal maximum number of low traffic users/websites per hestia instance?

I see 3 scenarios:
1- Bigger server (no changes in software)
2- Separate users among different servers, each one with a complete hestia instance (this would require more time to maintain)
3- Separate services into different servers

If you recommend to go with a multi-server setup. Does HestiaCP has multiserver features?

I really appreciate this community and i would love to hear your opinions.

Thankyou!!

1 Like

I see 3 scenarios:
1- Bigger server (no changes in software)
2- Separate users among different servers, each one with a complete hestia instance (this would require more time to maintain)
3- Separate services into different servers

2 / 3 HestiaCP doesn’t support have any kind of multi server “features” except your are able separate the databases to a different machine.

For 1 the “issue” is quite simple you can increase the number of users “until” the costs of 1 server + 1x management > 2x smaller there fore cheaper server + 2x management .

Additional servers has also the “benefit” if one server goes down only “50%” of the users is affected and you are able to create offsite backups.

For the “number” of users I suggest focusing on server load vs the number of clients… And keep it below a certain “average” threshold.

As @eris already mentioned… I would not want to put ‘all eggs in one basket’ so splitting up customers over 3-4 servers would be a good failsafe and redundant way.

Thanks both for your message!!
I will stablish a maximum number of users and then setup a different server