How to reduce the load on the VPS?

The task is to install Hestiacp on an Ubuntu 20.04 VPS in a way that reduces the load.
I need - Apache + Nginx, Multiphp (only 8.0 - 8.2), vsftpd, Mysql, iptables, quick installation of CMS, backup to free clouds (Rclone)
I don’t need - Phpfpm, Named (use Cloudflare), Exim, Dovecot, ClameAV, SpamAssasin (use external smtp), fail2ban.
Question one - I use this command, what can be changed?

sudo bash hst-install.sh --apache yes --phpfpm no --multiphp yes --vsftpd yes --proftpd no --named no --mysql yes --postgresql no --exim no --dovecot no --sieve no --clamav no --spamassassin no --iptables yes --fail2ban no --quota no --api yes --interactive no --with-debs no  --port '8083' --hostname 'hostname.mydomain.com' --email '[email protected]' --password 'superpassword' --lang 'en'  --force 

Question two - what is API and Interactive ?
P.S. Sorry my bad english, it’s not my native language

Php-fom you need for the quick installs
Fail2ban is a must have unless you are using a different solution but Cloudflare is no replace ment for fail2ban

1 Like
  1. What is Fail2ban for? Will the server work without it? And how much RAM does he eat?
  2. Is it possible to abandon the installation of ancient versions of PHP? I only need 8.0-8.2
  3. And what are the API and Interactive for?

If you are willing win slight memory gain for over security then I think you should not host any kind VPS. But the memory usage for Fail2ban is quite minimal.

Don’t select multiphp and run after install

v-add-web-php x.x for the versions you want.

• API is used for cominications between software and hestia.
  • Interactive will ask you some questions during install but as you allready provided everything setting to no is fine
3 Likes

Some of the security settings are duplicated by Cloudflare, such as firewall, protection against bots, attempts to hack the admin panel, etc. But if fail2ban uses little RAM, then I will install it.
VPS is convenient, but the more I save power and ram, the more sites I add.
If I omit multiphp, what version of php will be installed by default? And if I add my php versions, will they show up in the GUI and won’t cause conflicts with the panel?
About the API and Interactive - so I did the right thing, that I turned on the API, but turned off Interactive? The Interactive is still not needed after installation?
Another question - is it possible to disable the installed services from the panel so that they do not turn on after a reboot?

Cloudflare does not protect the server for direct attacks from bots to the server ip…

2 Likes

OK. This is my new installation command (add phpfpm and fail2ban), I’ll add the latest PHP versions after installation. Is everything else correct or is there something else that needs to be fixed?

sudo bash hst-install.sh --apache yes --phpfpm yes --multiphp yes --vsftpd yes --proftpd no --named no --mysql yes --postgresql no --exim no --dovecot no --sieve no --clamav no --spamassassin no --iptables yes --fail2ban yes --quota no --api yes --interactive no --with-debs no  --port '8083' --hostname 'hostname.mydomain.com' --email '[email protected]' --password 'superpassword' --lang 'en'  --force 

It does nothing more then installing all the listed php versions in the installer:
multiphp_v=(“5.6” “7.0” “7.1” “7.2” “7.3” “7.4” “8.0” “8.1” “8.2”)

You can turn off both API and Interactive. API can be enabled via Settings and Interactive is an some UI during

Yes but you need to disable via ssh

1 Like

–multiphp yes

Is not needed set to no:

And run v-add-web-php 8.1 and v-add-web-php 8.2 after install or select it via the Settings

1 Like

This is the interactive installer if set to no it skips the following steps

1 Like

Thank you. I use command

sudo bash hst-install.sh --apache yes --phpfpm yes --multiphp no --vsftpd yes --proftpd no --named no --mysql yes --postgresql no --exim no --dovecot no --sieve no --clamav no --spamassassin no --iptables yes --fail2ban yes --quota no --api no --interactive no --with-debs no  --port '8083' --hostname 'hostname.mydomain.com' --email '[email protected]' --password 'mypassword' --lang 'en'  --force

After this command I manually add php 8.1 and php 8.2 in graphical interface. I am not use commands.
Now I must add rclone (google drive and mega). Thank you very much. :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.