I am still having all kinds of issues with SSL not working

inflation, in my day it was 2 cents :slight_smile:

is this a private forum session? I can send you my test url for the Hestia, all this will be changing later today when the new server arrives. I have all running on ESXi so its easy to redo.

nope, public. We do not access to unknown systems for debugging, expect it is clearly needed. I just can suggest to try the installation on hetzner, if you can reproduce your issue there, please share the steps you did, so we can validate it - a github issue would be the right place for it.

deleted

what is that under, I am in Putty in the root and I just need to know where to cd to find /var and then I can get the logs

When you are in the root directory

cd /var/log/nginx/domains/

You have the option to run the command:

v-add-letsencrypt-domain user domain.com

And then:
less domain.com.log | grep /.well-known/

[16/Nov/2020:22:18:55 +0100] ā€œGET /.well-known/acme-challenge/BiP_0oTlC_iJ8vazcr6Jzbw0y19QMHz0Vy4savsiKbA HTTP/1.1ā€ 200 87 ā€œ-ā€ ā€œMozilla/5.0 (compatible; Letā€™s Encrypt validation server; +https://www.letsencrypt.org)ā€

I just keep getting

-bash: v-add-lets-encrypt-domain: command not found

I tried several different ways.

It should be v-add-letsencrypt-domain sorry

Otherwise use /usr/local/hestia/bin/v-add-letsencrypt-domain

ok, changing out servers now. thanks I will start this again soon.

ok, I did that and now the ssl is on my domain :slight_smile: so whatā€™s the deal?

thank you, so is that how I have to do the ssl moving forward?

So what did you do differently then?

I have always been trying to apply the SSL via the Hestia interface and it always failed.

I did it via Putty terminal with the command you gave me and it worked.

Scary!
Youā€™ve been a Windoze luser far too long. I gave up on that crap platform 2 decades ago, having seen the increasing bloat and downright madness happening over the preceding nearly 2 decades.

Hereā€™s an idea: setup a dual boot of Linux Mint on your local PC and start to learn much more about linux. Unfortunately, itā€™s becoming bloated too, compared to a decade ago but will still run happily enough in 12 GB of disc space.

to be honest, if you have no clue where to find logfiles or how to search, that is scary and you really should not start diving into linux that way. especially when it comes to hosting be aware that linux is by far more common and therefore much more often attacked. think of windows as OS being much more a target for viruses/malware because of itā€™s wide distribution. when it comes to webserver itā€™s more the other way around.

if you have no real idea about linux, how do you intend to secure your server? this is really no good idea and on top: please understand that HestiaCP is not intended to help you with missing admin skills. other control panels might be a better choice if you want to avoid cli and suchā€¦ think of plesk for instance. the goal we follow with hestiaCP is to make life easier for experienced (linux) sysadmins.

please donā€™t get me wrong, we appreciate anyone very much who is using it and liking it for whatever reason. However I am afraid you will experience more troubles soon, and it will be a pain you do to yourself, if you try learning the wrong way around.

By no means I want to discourage you and your goal to utilize linux for better performance, however I really suggest to give it more time and maybe setup a sandbox first, where you try to setup a single static website using only cli to deploy a lamp stack. on the way you could pick up a lot of useful knowledge about how windows and linux differ (permissions, basic folder structure) and what they might have in similarities (cli/cmd/powershell)ā€¦

for the problem at hand: letsencrypt ssl works out of the box. if you click within the GUI to get the cert, in the end it issues exactly that CLI command @eris made you run successfully in the backend. so the question is, where has been the difference? :wink:
If you find out, please let us know!

1 Like

Reply to AlwaysSkint Regular

I have to keep my main PC on Windows as its my work/office PC, its on my Windows Domain and itā€™s my photography/video/sound studio workstation so I donā€™t mess around with it. All monitors are color calibrated, etcā€¦ I have lots of other computers and servers that I experiment on. And a nice ESXi server that I can test OSā€™s on.

And I guess I am out of control on the bloat as I have 32TBā€™s of Raided storage for all my crap.

And I donā€™t know what the difference is, The SSL never worked in the GUI, it worked the first time via Command. I will keep you posted if I figure it out and I am sure I will. Like I said I will be moving all over to a new server soon. They sent the wrong server today, so again waiting to start that project.

Iā€™m doing fine. Iā€™m a quick learner.

I have had my own business for 29 years doing Cooperate IT work, Domain Controllers, Exchange Servers, Network Cabling etcā€¦ So for me I need to keep-up on the windows stuff.

But I do really like the performance of Linux running my VMā€™s, Websites, and Media Server, etcā€¦ so I am learning it. There hasnā€™t been anything yet I could not learn and do. I guess I am just so used to Windows I forget I have been doing that for 29 years and I didnā€™t learn it all in a couple weeks.

And FYI, I just had to do some work for a company setting up a $45,000 Server with Linux CentOS. ā€œ2 - 64 core CPUā€™sā€ (128 cores) 1TB of RAM and a 13TB SSD Drive, and all went great, I didnā€™t have any issues.

I can also Build Cars cars and Houses from the ground up, Iā€™m a pro photographer, sound engineer, videographer, musician, just to mention a few things.

Sorry I asked for any help.

I like this. Why not have a letsencrypt log turned on permanently?

echo "$user - $domain - $answer" >> "/var/log/hestia/letsencrypt-debug.log"

you keep changing your mind fast :slight_smile:ā€¦ Glad that letā€™s encrypt now works for you.

I got this year 3 of them for myself, supermicro based, just the smaller cpus, the 64 cpu cores are just overkill - Paid 12k USD for them eachā€¦ Now hardware specs or that you got centos running on top doesnt mean anything, as @falzo pointed on, setting up something is just the first point to do - maintenance, monitoring and bug, aswell exploit searching and fixing in linux is more important.

I think we already invested a lot of time and i still stay with my initial suggestion:

1 Like

Iā€™ll implement it for hestia 1.3.2, 1.3.1 should be released today, if we not have any show stoppers :slight_smile:.