IMAP breaking (remote connection)

Hello,

I`ve been using Hestia on a VPS for web+incoming mail. But due to DDoS attacks I´ve decided to keep my website on a separate server. After moving my website I´m getting this error pretty often:

Can not authenticate to IMAP server: [UNAVAILABLE] Maximum number of connections from user+IP exceeded (mail_max_user

- [CLOSED] IMAP connection broken (server response)

I´m guessing the reason is because I now connect remotely. But is there a way to disable this check or make the maximum number “unlimited”? I receive large amounts of incoming emails from my website and there is lots of connection from one specific IP.

I have tried looking into the following topics without success:

Maybe you have any suggestions, @jlguerrero

For the dovecot whitelist you may use your servers IP in the global fail2ban whitelist. But you are not having problems with this.

As for the limits, you have to raise them to fit your needs. I can’t give you a better advice.

The only thing that you can try is an external SMTP but you will also have to increase the limits.

Thanks for your reply.

Weirdly I raised the limit before going to bed, and still they seems to be reached.

Dec 31 02:36:14 imap-login: Info: Maximum number of connections from user+IP exceeded (mail_max_userip_connections=1000): user=<[email protected]>, method=PLAIN, rip=X.X.X.X, lip=X.X.X.X, se>

Dec 31 02:36:15 master: Warning: service(stats): client_limit (1000) reached, client connections are being dropped

Check if your server closes the connection to the mail server