Message Header - Received by

Good evening all. I will do my best to explain myself. I am new to HestiaCP but seem to have successfully set it up as my mail server. I have two domains configured and am able to send and receive mail from both. What I noticed after looking at the message header of an email message that I received to one of those domains is that the Received by line is always the same eg. mail.domain1.com. I have attached a screenshot. Forgive me if I am not being entirely clear.

If the mail was sent to let’s say [email protected] shouldn’t the Received by read mail.domain2.com

Message Header

The received by refers to the canonical name of the server.
That has to be mx.domain1.com
Your machine may have many names such as:
panel.domain1.com
mail.domain2.com
mx.domain1.com
subd.domain1.com

But when EXIM answers the query it identifies itself as the canonical name of the machine.

Thank you so much for the prompt response José. Excuse my ignorance but I am not exactly sure what you mean by “the canonical name of the machine.” Would this have been a name that I would have chosen when first installing HestiaCP? Much appreciated. Peter

Yes. That name.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.