My Wordpress back admin panel is too slow

I discover the Admin back-end site is too slow, opening Plugins tab, uploading plugin, and many operations are too slow sometimes taking 15-20 seconds to open, my server is 4vCPU and 24GB ram.
Running Ubunto 22.04 and using PHP 8

Any help please?

With that amount of informations, its not possible to help. Start with the first debugging, checking your server load, processes and logs…

thank you @Raphael
I agree that should not help but would you please guide me to any how-to article where I can perform what you recommended? I have limited knowledge in tracing and tracking errors.
Any plugin I should install to generate those log files?

Is your server openvz or kvm?
What is your ping to the server?
Upload your PHP configuration

Hestiacp is self hosted / self managed and you should have some basic admin experience

I’m sorry but we can’t provide such basic steps, please have a look at Please read this, before you start!

4vCPU and 24GB

As it has this specs it ARM Oracle cloud VM…

Might help with debugging

@elmo Thank you for the support, I upload here the PHP config file. Downlaod the config file from here please Dropbox - PHP-7.4.txt - Simplify your life

The hosting server is the Free Oracle Tier.

@eris YES you are right is the Oracle VM.Standard.A1.Flex shape

@eris from Query Monitor
What does that mean?

Are you using the Wordpress template in Hestia? (not default). That has some good settings. I really wouldn’t advise just copy and pasting a provided php.ini file from anywhere. You need to tweak it for your usage.

You should be looking at htop to see what is using the processing. Check server loads , how much RAM is being used, etc.

Personally I’d never stick anything on a free plan. Even a basic free Wordpress hosting package is going to be crap. They can’t (and won’t) give you a decent stack for free. It makes no business sense. You are better getting a Linode/DigialOcean server, which even on a $20/month one would do the trick

3 Likes

Any chance you could link to this? Not quite sure what you mean.

They can’t (and won’t) give you a decent stack for free

Just to add, I also utilise Oracle Free Tier and multiple instances seem to run fine, though admittedly they have low traffic (I wouldn’t use free for high traffic). Do you have any details on what you think they are limiting/crippling when they offer free tiers?

If you use the Nginx only setup it is available in the template dropdown…

That the key problem.
ARM processors = mobile processors = extremely weak peace of shit trash.
10 ARM CPU CORES = ~ 1 normal CPU CORE (not processor with many cores) of x86-64 processor from somewhere like 2010-2012 years.

This is for you just to understand the difference in performance.
These ARM Processors - SUCKS. Always been, and always will be.
Companies force to use that because of space, and high prices of two major monopoly vendors: Intel & AMD. ARM licensing different, there are a lot of companies who can produce ARM CPU.

But ARM very damn bloated and slow.
And this is a key of the problem.

Second:

as far as I remember hestiaCP (default installation without any modifications to installation script) - does not have enabled out the box opcache.

Opcache dramatically increase speed of wordpress. Because no more need to recompile to bytecode some php parts many times. I think enabling the option will help to improve performance damn a lot. But will not solve the key problem - weak CPU.

Thats why these CPUs and VMs so cheap.

1 Like

Do you have seen the M1 apple cores also ARM proccesors.

ARM is nothing more then the instruction set but even the ARM processors Nvidia makes are comparable with x86-64 processors and they are low energy as ***

We build the packages for Hestia via on ARM64 4 cores (And I am sure Oracle free cloud does not allow 100% max load on all the cores) and an Ryzen5 3600 8 cores and you can see about 50% difference. It don’t want to complain about it

Just check on my test server:

It looks enabled

** 1 OCPU on x86 CPU Architecture (AMD and Intel) = 2 vCPUs; 1 OCPU on Arm CPU Architecture (Ampere) = 1 vCPU

from the Oracle site Cloud Free Tier | Oracle United Arab Emirates

And?

nope. it’s totally different device for different purposes.

I do not see any difference in what you said.
Because i do not have any access. It can be slow disk system, weird algorithms, etc.
I know that ARM - slow. Always been, right now slow, and in near future will be slow if compare with classic CPU (AMD / Intel).

You’re right checked that too. Yes it is enabled now by default.

They simply lie, like many other providers before them. This is not a new thing.
This thing in market for 10 years already.

There were many providers like that, all of them (all literally all) said the same: “we close to classic CPU performance”, etc.

While it is not.
Yes, they can say: “1 CPU = vCPU”.

But what is “vCPU”?
Virtual CPU? Like on VirtualBox? With different Ghz?
How much is it “vCPU”?

vCPU can be 200Mhz, or vCPU can be 3.4Ghz, or 2.2Ghz, or 5.0 Ghz
They for sure will not tell you. Because this is a trick. Manipulation.

All companies who started these experiments - failed earlier.
RunAbove, scaleway, many many many others. All who offered ARM processors - failed.
Because for common general usage these processors too slow.

Not suitable for server-side heavy computations. Like every single php framework require.
The same related to heavy mysql, their queries, iops, and so on.

But it like it was.
Right now in the end of 2022 year, there are widely used front-end frameworks for static websites, and fully rendered logic on the client-side with interaction with requests via API, or lightweight requests.

I mean the heavy computation - divided over users, and moved to client-side (which is always is bad from security side).

So probably for some kind of static or dynamic but client-rendered website it will be okay.
But not for wordpress, joomla, or other old classic web apps (CMS)

Their ARM offer good for extremely specific tasks. This is not classic regular hardware.
And that’s why when you use different instrument for solving a totally different task - something will go wrong.

Sorry for the wall of text, i just wish to explain that things not so simple, and ARM is really slow if compare to any CPU. If compare to modern CPU - ARM slow in dozens of times by the same amount of cores.

But purpose of ARM - for different things, for small devices, gadgets, i dunno CPU for router, for a device that do one job only, etc.

Maybe in 10 years, when people will write and will have better instruments for concurrency - such thing will be important. But not for now. Right now the costs of switching between treads - way too big. And that’s why, plus adding to that performance difference between ARM and x86-64, we have what we have.

1 Like