Outbound email is working, but inbound is not

Hi all,

I have just setup my first panel, very slick! However I have a problem with inbound email working. I have checked with MXToolbox and it gives a pass. I am guessing there are issues with the DNS but I am not sure what. I am using Cloudflare, all proxies are off.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Sparky.

Probaly your provider is blocking port 25 on outgoing connection to prevent spam. Try to manualy connect to a smtp server using telnet.

Hi ScIT,

No connection:
Trying 64.233.184.26…
Trying 2a00:1450:400c:c00::1a…
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Network is unreachable

Will contact the VPS provider(Oracle). My understanding is port 25 is outbound rather than inbound. Am I mistaken?

Sparky

@sparky @Raphael

Any updates on this yet? I have the same setup as sparky (see below) and inbound mailing is not working while outbound works fine

• Oracle free tier VPS (ARM based processor)
  • Set 25 in for a SMTP traffic destination port
  • Cloudflare with proxies off for A records (mail and webmail)
  • MX record in on Cloudflare with priority 10 (copied across from HestiaCP)

Thanks in advance!

Oracle does not allow outbound email on port 25, you need to use an smtp relay service like amazon ses or similar.

https://www.smtp2go.com/ is another option for smtp relay. Or u can find a hosting provider that is willing to unblock port 25.

In the future if you should check if port 25 is open by using telnet. Like this example : telnet ASPMX.L.GOOGLE.COM 25

Make sure you install telnet also.

@Raphael @elmo

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I’ve already been using Sendinblue’s SMTP relay as instructed in this video

With the SMTP relay, outbound email works fine as mentioned above. The issue is the inbound email.

Regarding the telnet command, which host am I supposed to pass in as a parameter? The Oracle server or website domain or Sendinblue’s SMTP hostname?

telnet scratchgolfballs.com.au 25
Trying 104.21.5.143...
Trying 172.67.154.167...
Trying 2606:4700:3033::ac43:9aa7...
Trying 2606:4700:3033::6815:58f...
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host: Network is unreachable

Thanks

Hi terryeah,

I went back and did the install exactly as this video instructs: Best Free VPS Setup 2022 (Hestia on Oracle Cloud Free Tier) Complete Website + Email Tutorial - YouTube

Possibly the same video you have already watched. Follow exactly. Everything is working well for me, hopefully, you will get the same outcome. Update us with your progress.

Sparky.

I am facing similar issue and my setup is a little different than the video. I am thinking to create [email protected] instead of [email protected]. Can someone here please guide me. I am using OCI and has followed same tutorial. I am able to send emails but not able to receive them.

Hi ishubhijain,

As I say, follow the video instructions exactly. I would suggest you get your own domain and use that for the setup. The ideaspot.site domain, as used in the video, would not be the best solution for you to try and use.

Good luck.
Sparky

Thanks for reply, I understand your point but my need is a little different. I want to have [email protected] instead of [email protected]. Obviously I am replacing ideaspot.site with my domain name.

The hcp.ideaspot.site is only used as the subdomain to point to the Hestia application login. It is not used for the email records. All email will use the primary domain i.e. ideaspot.site

If you follow the presentation you will be able to set up the email of [email protected]

Use DNS Lookup - Check DNS Records and check if mx records are pointing to the server. Otherwise with out sharing the domain we can’t do anything

1 Like

@sparky I think you are trying to fix something that is not broken. :slight_smile:

@eris Yes you are correct, I am not able to look up for that in DNS of primary domain but the MX records pops up in sub domain lookup. Pl. check - DNS Lookup - Check All DNS Records for Any Domain

Unless you use: [email protected] it will not work as

mail.ajsolutions.in still point to Hostinger mail servers …

Double-check your Ingress rules.