Outlook loses connection with my email

Hello everyone, I hope you can help me.
A few weeks ago we installed Hestia on a Hostinger VPS, and the email was created and can be accessed normally via webmail.
The problem begins when we configure this company email on a computer with Outlook, it does not synchronize, we put the correct parameters of the input and output server but in a first attempt it does not synchronize, a while passes and after several attempts it synchronizes and connects, but then a few hours later we realize when we want to send an email from outllok that the email does not work and we notice that it has been disconnected again.

The same thing happens when we want to synchronize this email on a cell phone, it cannot connect.

Another point is that the email has passed tests such as:

Showing a 10/10 but when we send an email to gmail it arrives as spam.

I will greatly appreciate your help in this regard.

What does the journal say?

I am sending a screenshot of the error that it shows.
“There was some problem and Outlook was unable to save your account settings. Try again”

Hi @ccencho,

I’m afraid that isn’t an Hestia issue but an Outlook issue. Try to edit account conf, then Repair (Reparar), select Advanced Options (Opciones avanzadas) and Let me repair my account manually (Permitirme reparar manualmente mi cuenta) then you should see the right connection options used by that account. Does it show the right data?

IMAP
imagen

SMTP

imagen

Maybe Outlook keeps trying to use autodiscover to get the domain data to connect to imap/pop3 and smtp and it is ignoring the connection data you introduced manually… or maybe the Outlook’s account profile is somewaht corrupt and must be recreated…

If you tell use what is the actual domain we could check if your dns and certificates are the right ones.

Thanks for your reply.
I told him that the domain is www.iotia.io, I told him that we have used the same parameters, even now I wanted to send an email but it gave me an error. I attach images.

Your server has port 465 closed, open it in firewall or use port 587 and STARTTLS in Outlook instead of port 465 and SSL/TLS.

I tested it several times and sometimes I can connect to port 465 and others I can’t so maybe a firewall is doing something weird or doesn’t like my country :wink: With port 587 and starttls I’ve no issues to connect to your server.

Hello sansanu, Indeed, at times it works and at other times it doesn’t, checking a text from Domain Health Check - Online Domain Tools - Blacklist, Email, Website, DNS - MxToolBox, I see this error.

That isn’t an error, that means that [email protected] is trying to use your smtp server to relay an email to external account [email protected] and your server said no no no :wink: and that means you are not an open relay and that is good, so all is working as expected.

I told you that yesterday I modified the SPF and within hours Outlook synchronization is no longer lost, but what I have seen now happens like this.

1. External emails from gmail, hotmail and other servers arrive in the example inbox [email protected]

2. The outgoing emails from [email protected] pointing to gmail, hotmail and external server if they reach your inboxes, it takes a few seconds between 5 to 10 seconds, but it does arrive.

3. External emails from [email protected] do not reach [email protected], I see that you put them on hold-frozen.
    I obtained these logs by entering /var/log/exim4/mainlog

In addition, there is still the problem that outgoing emails from [email protected] are reaching the SPAM folder of gmail and hotmail.

I just sent a test email from [email protected]
to emails:
[email protected] – If I reach the user
[email protected] – The user did not receive it

What I see is an error: TLS error on connection (recv): The TLS connection was non-properly terminated.

There shouldn’t be any relation between spf and outlook trying to connect to your server but if it works now, good :wink:

Ok.

That’s normal.

What do you mean with external? Because as far as I can see, smelpro.com and iotia.io share the same server (217.196.62.140) so if smelpro is really an external domain, you should delete it from the Hestia server. Anyway, I’m just guessing so to know why the messages are hold, the message id and serch the exim logs:

Example (replace 1rdxxx-123456-YY by one of the message ids)

exigrep '1rdxxx-123456-YY' /var/log/exim4/mainlog*

Double check that you have activated DKIM for your mail domain.

imagen

For gmail you can ignore that message because gmail closes the connection in a fashion way ;), as I said, there is no problem.

Why are you including outlook and google in your spf record?

$ dig iotia.io txt +short | head -n1
"v=spf1 a mx ip4:217.196.62.140 include:spf.protection.outlook.com include:_spf.google.com ~all"

Also, ~all is a soft fail and it is recommended and appreciated for remote smtp servers to use -all that is a hard fail.

1 Like

Sorry for my mistake, smelpro.com was on bluehost 1 month ago, then it was migrated to the hostinger VPS along with iotia.io and its emails are managed by Hestia, but for some reason it happens that they are not arriving from [email protected] to [email protected]

If they are all marked in [email protected], but for some reason the emails from [email protected] continue to arrive in the SPAM folder of any email [email protected] and [email protected], we have already checked that the IP is not on the blacklist and as far as we have seen the DNS, SPF, DKIM checks are fine.

At first it was only with v=spf1 to mx ip4:217.196.62.140 - all, but since it arrived as SPAM to gmail and hotmail, we put that configuration so that it recognizes it as a server authorized to forward emails from our servers, we read that in some forums. But what do you recommend I should color please?

Because for example on another server like Bluehost I have seen that they place:
v=spf1 to mx include:websitewelcome.com ~all

Checking the status of one of the frozen messages, this:

Send a mail and check the log /var/log/exim4/mainlog to view what’s going on.

Those are bouncing messages, check the body and header of the mail with these commands:

exim4 -Mvb HereTheMessageID
exim4 -Mvh HereTheMessageID