PHP Version Weirdness

I installed a server over a month ago and its been running fine. On installation I installed with multi PHP and then removed the versions I didn’t want, leaving it with 7.3 and 7.4. All was good for a few weeks.

Today, the dev working on the server emailed me with an error message including php7.1-fpm. Which isn’t installed! I took a look and although v-list-sys-php told me only 7.3 and 7.4 were installed, if I did ‘apt list --installed php7.1*’ then a load of PHP modules showed up.

I’ve no idea how they were reinstalled. I got rid of them again with the web interface, by installing them (checking the box) and then uninstalling them again. And then, as apt list --installed php7.1* (and 5.6, 7.0, 7.2) still showed there were some modules installed for each version, I got rid of those with ‘apt remove php7.1-common’ (repeat for each version), which took all the other modules with it.

Some hiccup at the Sury repository perhaps? There have been a lot of PHP updates in the last week.

I think you have a point.

We will check it out we have the same issue.

Getting very weird updates today as well. One server wants to install some PHP 8 modules, and then immediately autoremove them! In the same transaction …

The following packages will be upgraded:
php-common php-mysql php7.0-apcu php7.0-imagick php7.1-apcu php7.1-imagick php7.2-apcu php7.2-imagick php7.3-apcu php7.3-imagick php7.4-apcu php7.4-imagick php8.0-apcu php8.0-imagick sosreport

The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
php-apcu-bc php7.0-apcu php7.0-phpdbg php7.1-apcu php7.1-phpdbg php7.2-apcu php7.2-phpdbg php7.3-apcu php7.4-apcu php8.0-apcu php8.0-phpdbg Use ‘sudo apt autoremove’ to remove them.

Thanks for this. The acpu one caught me out. I run an installation of Nextcloud on one server that uses APCU for cacheing. That stopped working, and I couldn’t work out why as the logs didn’t give me much to go on, just a 500 error. But removing the apcu line from the nextcloud config made it work again. I might switch to redis instead.

So it seems PHP 8.0 has dropped, which is maybe what all the version craziness was about. My server installed a few of the modules automatically – php8.0-cli php8.0-common php8.0-imagick php8.0-opcache php8.0-readline – and I guess I’ll install the rest of the ones I usually use manually.

Not planning to use it immediately, but at what point does it become part of the Hestia PHP version options?

Sury is slightly behind with Debian packages and will take a few weeks.
Probably soon after it…

The is issue caused the problem is using the common package php-Redis is stead the version specific.