Remove DNS server (installed by accident)

Hi,

I’m trying to work out how to deal with this. Basically, I used the online tool to generate an install command. Normally I use my own script I wrote, which has nginx as the frontend and then only Apache as a backend for perl/mod_perl. So this is the command I used on the new server:

sudo bash hst-install.sh --apache yes --phpfpm yes
–multiphp yes --vsftpd yes --proftpd no --named yes --mysql yes --postgresql no --exim yes --dovecot yes --sieve no --clamav yes --spamassassin yes --iptables yes --fail2ban yes --quota no --api yes --interactive yes --with-debs no --port ‘9183’ --lang ‘en’

I didn’t realise I enabled the DNS option:

–named yes

I’m trying to get unbound working locally so I can use the local service for spamassassin checks (it uses Linodes nameservers otherwise, which are always at max capacity and fail blacklist checks). So my question:

How to disable and uninstall named / DNS stuff? (we have it all running on linodes nameservers)

Thanks in advance!

Andy

Check if hestiacp/hestia-event.conf at main · hestiacp/hestiacp · GitHub is present in /etc/apache2/conf.d folder

Sorry looks like a subject from another post I was going to add got put in there by accident :slight_smile: (I must have forgotten to update!).

The issue for this question - how do I uninstall / disable named ? I want to use unbound instead, but it seems they both use port 53 (so unbound won’t start).

Thanks!

nano /usr/local/hestia/conf/hestia.conf
Change:
DNS_SYSTEM=‘bind9’ to
DNS_SYSTEM=‘’

And apt remove bind9

Should work fine

2 Likes

You know you can also use:

Thanks - that worked like a charm :slight_smile: unbound is working now :sunglasses:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.