Setting up Debian10 with Hestiacp clean install

Hi

@martineliascz thank you for this advise, what about NVMe?
(will amend VPN to VPS :p)

nvme is also ssd, so probaly it will fit the same.

1 Like

sorry, but I have to heavily disagree with that advice :wink:

in opposite: disabling swap shows a big misunderstanding on what swap is for and why it should always be enabled. even if you have you sufficient RAM and also still while running on HDD.

true thing, SWAP is no replacement for RAM nor some kind of simple extension. however, SWAP allows the system and memory manager to get rid of old memory pages that are highly unlikely to be used again and with that frees up ressources that can then be used again.
in the easiest example that freed up memory can be used as filecache instead of being blocked for nothing and therefore help speeding up the system.

I do agree that if you don’t have enough RAM for your intended use case, SWAP won’t help you or instead of having you run into OOM errors might slow your system down by eating up IO. but again that’s no reason to turn off swap at all - rather use settings like swappiness to tune the behaviour or get more RAM but still let the system manage the memory.

all that said: trying to judge a provider based on misunderstanding the concept of swap is a very bad idea - at least in my humble opinion :wink:

4 Likes

@falzo - thanks much for another view on the topic.

However, please let me do put emphasis on the most crucial point:

Proper configuration of services is required though. Otherwise you risk OOM as you pointed out. However it’s better IMHO to see OOM in action & act accordingly - either opt for more RAM or fix issues connected therewith.

With perfectly configured services & huge amount of RAM, there is no huge need for SWAP when running on VPS. Do you disagree with this statement?

Thanks.

Swap really should always be made available, for full memory management purposes. You can turn down swappiness to its’ minimum setting, especially important for SSD/NVMe. I have to wince at those amateurs who create swap files greater than 2GB though. :-o

Just done my first Hestia install ever and jumped straight to Debian 10. I never understand the fascination with Ubuntu as a server OS - Debian/CentOS for goodness’ sake! (From a UNIX purist perspective). :cowboy_hat_face:

With the supplied VPS provider’s template, I needed to install curl - first hurdle passed.

Received two errors about SSL though - should’ve copied them down - I’ll see if it is logged someplace.
Is Hestia supposed to install a LE certificate for the host automatically, or stick with the self-certified one? When I asked for an LE for the admin web site (the same FQDN), it installed, with no problem.

BTW, it’s excellent that the default admin account attaches to the hostname - not all control panels have the foresight to do this. Well done! :nerd_face:

Ubuntu LTS Server Editon (every other release) is stable as you need for a server OS I suggest to stay clear from the all 18.10/19.10 and your are fine

Had till a few years ago (When I left the company a running still using Ubuntu 10.04 and still worked like a charm.)

@eris You missed my point: why Ubuntu at all? It’s based/forked from debian anyway - so stick to the “grass roots” version. Linux Mint on a desktop/laptop however is much more meaningful. Last time I installed a Windoze Server (you know, another desktop OS that has been shoehorned into server duties) was 20 years ago!

Back on topic:
Is there not a HestiaCP install log?

@AlwaysSkint you should be able to find the installation log file under $HOMEDIR/hst_install_backups/hst_install-[date].log

1 Like

Thanks. Saw that directory (not a folder! ;-)) but hadn’t delved in there yet. The logs didn’t pick up on the forementioned error but fortunately I have another freshly installed Debian VPS, so I’ll pay more attention this time (and install curl first).

Captured the messages this time, just after required repositories added:

[*] Hestia Control Panel
Updating currently installed packages, please wait...-Can't exec "/tmp/libssl1.1.config.zSYdqZ": Permission denied at /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base/IPC/Open3.pm line 178.
open2: exec of /tmp/libssl1.1.config.zSYdqZ configure 1.1.1d-0+deb10u3 failed: Permission denied at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/ConfModule.pm line 59.

P.S. Remember to update the https://hestiacp.com/ page, with current release. :wink:

@AlwaysSkint If it helps, on my Debian 10.4 installation (2 weeks ago), libssl installed fine as part of HestiaCP 1.2.0-RC installation:

root@vm05:~# fgrep libssl /root/hst_install_backups/hst_install-200620200143.log
  libargon2-1 libidn2-0 libpcre2-8-0 libpcre3 libssl1.1 openssl
Get:5 https://packages.sury.org/php buster/main amd64 libssl1.1 amd64 1.1.1g-1+0~20200421.17+debian10~1.gbpf6902f [1542 kB]
Preparing to unpack .../libssl1.1_1.1.1g-1+0~20200421.17+debian10~1.gbpf6902f_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking libssl1.1:amd64 (1.1.1g-1+0~20200421.17+debian10~1.gbpf6902f) over (1.1.1d-0+deb10u3) ...
Setting up libssl1.1:amd64 (1.1.1g-1+0~20200421.17+debian10~1.gbpf6902f) ...
root@vm05:~#

hehe, I would not say that I disagree. you are right, ideally the system won’t really need to swap with a huge amount of ram and nicely configured stuff, BUT especially in that case - why disable swap then, it won’t hurt in any way if it’s just there.

I did not mean to sound offensive anyway, my point was more about the statement towards providers enabling it per default or not. based on the quote I could even say now you imply a good provider must enable swap, simply because he cannot know the use case of his clients and therefore can’t expect them to buy big enough VMs or configure their stuff properly :wink: :wink:
so it contradicts a bit to your first post ^^

1 Like

@kpv I get the same result from the fgrep, plus libnghttp2-14.

Semi-answering my own post: manually ran /usr/local/hestia/bin/v-add-letsencrypt-host
I reckon it’s time to create a softlink called scripts, to the above “binaries”. :wink:

Hello All

I tried to make a clean install with instructions from GitHub - hestiacp/hestiacp: Hestia Control Panel | A lightweight and powerful control panel for the modern web. and came below error.

It may have an issue with installatin file. I am trying to install on debian 10

Installation aborted

ERROR: Install script version does not match package version!
Please download the installer from the release branch in order to continue:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hestiacp/hestiacp/release/install/hst-install.sh

To test pre-release versions, build the .deb packages and re-run the installer:
./hst_autocompile.sh --hestia no
./hst-install.sh … --with-debs /tmp/hestiacp-src/debs

Can not reproduce your issue, just testing with a fresh debian 10 aka buster and the following steps:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hestiacp/hestiacp/release/install/hst-install.sh
bash hst-install.sh

Installation log:

Summary
        _   _           _   _        ____ ____
       | | | | ___  ___| |_(_) __ _ / ___|  _ \
       | |_| |/ _ \/ __| __| |/ _` | |   | |_) |
       |  _  |  __/\__ \ |_| | (_| | |___|  __/
       |_| |_|\___||___/\__|_|\__,_|\____|_|

Hestia Control Panel
                    www.hestiacp.com

========================================================================

Thank you for downloading Hestia Control Panel! In a few moments,
we will begin installing the following components on your server:

• NGINX Web / Proxy Server
  • Apache Web Server (as backend)
  • PHP-FPM Application Server
  • Bind DNS Server
  • Exim Mail Server + ClamAV + SpamAssassin
  • Dovecot POP3/IMAP Server
  • MariaDB Database Server
  • Vsftpd FTP Server
  • Firewall (Iptables) + Fail2Ban Access Monitor

Would you like to continue with the installation? [Y/N]: y
Please enter admin email address: [email protected]
Please enter FQDN hostname [test.hestiacp.com]:
Installation backup directory: /root/hst_install_backups/090720202045
Installation log file: /root/hst_install_backups/hst_install-090720202045.log

Adding required repositories to proceed with installation:

[ * ] NGINX
[ * ] PHP
[ * ] Apache2
[ * ] MariaDB
[ * ] Hestia Control Panel

Updating currently installed packages, please wait…|
The installer is now downloading and installing all required packages.
NOTE: This process may take 10 to 15 minutes to complete, please wait… /

[ * ] Configuring system settings…
[ * ] Configuring Hestia Control Panel…
[ * ] Generating default self-signed SSL certificate…
[ * ] Adding SSL certificate to Hestia Control Panel…
[ * ] Configuring NGINX…
[ * ] Configuring Apache Web Server…
[ * ] Configuring PHP-FPM…
[ * ] Configuring PHP…
[ * ] Configuring Vsftpd server…
[ * ] Configuring MariaDB database server…
[ * ] Installing phpMyAdmin version v5.0.2…
[ * ] Configuring Bind DNS server…
[ * ] Configuring Exim mail server…
[ * ] Configuring Dovecot POP/IMAP mail server…
[ * ] Installing ClamAV anti-virus definitions…/
[ * ] Configuring SpamAssassin…
[ * ] Configuring Roundcube webmail client…
[ * ] Configuring fail2ban access monitor…
[ * ] Installing remaining software updates…
[ * ] Configuring File Manager…

====================================================================

Congratulations!

You have successfully installed Hestia Control Panel on your server.

Ready to get started? Log in using the following credentials:

Admin URL: https://78.xxx.xxx.xxx:8083
Username: admin
Password:

Thank you for choosing Hestia Control Panel to power your full stack web server,
we hope that you enjoy using it as much as we do!

Please feel free to contact us at any time if you have any questions,
or if you encounter any bugs or problems:

E-mail: [email protected]
Web: https://www.hestiacp.com/
Forum: https://forum.hestiacp.com/
GitHub: GitHub - hestiacp/hestiacp: Hestia Control Panel | A lightweight and powerful control panel for the modern web.

Note: Automatic updates are enabled by default. If you would like to disable them,
please log in and navigate to Server > Updates to turn them off.

Help support the Hestia Contol Panel project by donating via PayPal:
Hestia Control Panel | Open-source web server control panel.

Sincerely yours,
The Hestia Control Panel development team

Made with love & pride by the open-source community around the world.

[ ! ] IMPORTANT: You must logout or restart the server before continuing.

Do you want to reboot now? [Y/N] N

Probaly you just downloaded the master installer, which should provide this output to prevent wrong installations.

got it. I didn’t have curl
sorry I was time waster

1 Like

No need to apologize @Gras, glad to hear it’s sorted now.

New installation…
Drat! Forgot to install curl. Might it be a good idea to add as a prerequisite on the github install instructions?

Double drat!

ssh: connect to host xx.xxxxxx.xxx port 22: Connection refused

All I had done was turn off DNS and password authentication - logging in with a public key.
Back to a rescue boot. :cry:

nonovnc?? :wink: