Sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified

I just got flooded with emails saying sudo: no tty present and no askpass program specified in refrence to the cron commands under the admin account. Now I can’t login no user passwords are working all saying incorrect… on ubuntu.

anyone have any ideas?

Not really, no: It basicly could be all, but in fact you can’t login, it doesnt sound good. Did you hosted any sites under admin user (in special wordpress)? Do you have console access to the server, to try to login as root or reset the root password over grub?

I have a second user sites are under I don’t use admin. I can console and changed the passwords but still says they are wrong… also if I try to run and cli commands it says they don’t exist.

That sounds weird, you may check the syslog for anything suspicious. What did you changed since it stopped working?

Nothing. The Cron jobs ran failed emailed me and couldn’t log in

I restored the server from a backup earlier today. The things ran again and we’re fine. I’m guessing it was just some kind of fluke thank you for the help though

I had that once. Cause was when I restored an admin user to a different account. It restored the admin crontab under the non-admin account, so the errors were caused when all those ran. My solution was to delete the crontab and all was good.

3 Likes