Two errors installing Hestia on Debian 10 in VirtualBox

I am sure that part of this problem is the fact that I am installing Hestia on a VirtualBox Debian VM rather than a real VPS. After many days and many failed attempts, I have given up on trying to custom install Hestia on Debian 10. Instead, I went with the standard install: sudo bash hst-install.sh

Sadly, at the end there were two errors preventing the install.

The first problem is that a folder called networkd-dispatcher is definitely missing from the usr/ lib folder. It appears that Debian may have moved this folder to a different location. I thought perhaps I could just get around this problem by not installing Fail2Ban but that did not work.

The second problem is that an Apache 2 module/ file called remoteip.conf not properly enabled. I opened this file and could not find anything wrong with it. I do not understand why it was not enabled.

Any ideas on how to solve either of these problems would be greatly appreciated.

Below is the install information I copied from the terminal starting at the point the errors started occurring:

Thanks for your help and input!

Configuring fail2ban access monitor…

/usr/local/hestia/bin/v-update-firewall: line 187: /usr/lib/networkd-dispatcher/routable.d/50-ifup-hooks: No such file or directory

/usr/local/hestia/bin/v-update-firewall: line 188: /usr/lib/networkd-dispatcher/routable.d/50-ifup-hooks: No such file or directory

/usr/local/hestia/bin/v-update-firewall: line 189: /usr/lib/networkd-dispatcher/routable.d/50-ifup-hooks: No such file or directory

/usr/local/hestia/bin/v-update-firewall: line 190: /usr/lib/networkd-dispatcher/routable.d/50-ifup-hooks: No such file or directory

/usr/local/hestia/bin/v-update-firewall: line 191: /usr/lib/networkd-dispatcher/routable.d/50-ifup-hooks: No such file or directory

/usr/local/hestia/bin/v-update-firewall: line 192: /usr/lib/networkd-dispatcher/routable.d/50-ifup-hooks: No such file or directory

/usr/local/hestia/bin/v-update-firewall: line 193: /usr/lib/networkd-dispatcher/routable.d/50-ifup-hooks: No such file or directory

/usr/local/hestia/bin/v-update-firewall: line 194: /usr/lib/networkd-dispatcher/routable.d/50-ifup-hooks: No such file or directory

/usr/local/hestia/bin/v-update-firewall: line 195: /usr/lib/networkd-dispatcher/routable.d/50-ifup-hooks: No such file or directory

chmod: cannot access ‘/usr/lib/networkd-dispatcher/routable.d/50-ifup-hooks’: No such file or directory

ERROR: Config file remoteip.conf not properly enabled: /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/remoteip.conf is a real file, not touching it

Here is how I opened this file and what was in it:

cd /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/

sudo nano remoteip.conf

RemoteIPHeader X-Real-IP

RemoteIPInternalProxy 127.0.0.1

RemoteIPInternalProxy 192.168.56.101

RemoteIPInternalProxy 76.121.122.172

RemoteIPInternalProxy 10.0.2.15

Searched apache2 mods-enabled remoteip.config not properly enabled Found nothing that helped. This may be related to the fact that my virtual server is a virtual machine inside of VirtualBox.

This sounds like debian is expecting to find symlinks in that directory and found a real file. I’ve noticed this on other hestia installs, but apache has never complained about it. Try this.
Check that the two files are the same
diff /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/remoteip.conf /etc/apache2/mods-available/remoteip.conf
If there’s no difference, then remove the enabled one
rm /etc/apache2/mods-enabled/remoteip.conf
Re-enable it
a2enmod remoteip
And you’ll probably need to restart apache.
systemctl restart apache2

On my install the two files were identical. If you find they’re different, you’ll have to decide which one to use. Probably the most recent one. Also you might want to fix rpaf.conf in a similar way.

Not sure about the other problem, but on my Ubuntu install, the missing file says
cat /usr/lib/networkd-dispatcher/routable.d/50-ifup-hooks

#!/bin/bash
/usr/local/hestia/bin/v-update-firewall-ipset
if [ "$IFACE" == "eth0" ]; then
    sleep 3
    /sbin/iptables-restore < /etc/iptables.rules
fi
exit 0

The interface eth0 may be different on your system of course.