Using DOCKER in HESTIA

Hi
so far, I haven’t been able to figure out how to use docker inside HESTIA.

Shouldn’t I just add a volume to Docker or Portainer that would be a hestia user’s public_html folder?

Thanks if you can help, or share a useful link :slight_smile:

hestia doesnt officially support docker, but there are some docker projects - you’ll find them with the search function (either here in the forum or google).

1 Like

thanks, I’ve looked around but didn’t find sufficient information according to my IT level to start with docker in HESTIA. I do have a server with DOCKER and PORTAINER cause I knew I wasn’t able to use them in HESTIA, and didn’t want to mess with my production server.

COULD ANY ONE SHARE THEIR EXPERIENCE WITH DOCKER IN HESTIA?
(and not with HESTIA in DOCKER! ^^)

What are your problems with using hestia and docker at the same time? I use it, work without problems.

2 Likes

thanks @sergei,
can you detail how you’re doing this, please?
how did you install docker and managed to link domains with containers?

Describe in more detail the problem you want to solve.

If I understand you correctly, then in short: installing hestia, docker and docker compose. Launching a container, creating a template for nginx, adding a domain with a template selected for it. Also using various services in docker.

1 Like

thanks @sergei
will I find howto to create templates for nginx for this usage in the forum?
then, you create a domain, and click the template in the list.
All right, I had never done this before :crossed_fingers:

https://docs.hestiacp.com/admin_docs/web.html

1 Like

This works great with HestiaCP

i am using CasaOS to manage docker, at the side Hestia also working

so … this is where I’m at:
I’ve installed docker and docker compose.
Created a domain with cloudflare-SSL.
I’ve created a docker-compose.yml in a sub-folder in public_html of the user i had added to docker group.
I’ve looked around, every post about docker, at the link /web.html …
I have no clue of what should be the next step: nginx template. There are only default files there, I don’t get the idea yet.
I don’t understand how I will link 1.the new subdomain created to 2.nginx to 3.the container through port 8485.

Though, I can reach the app installer through http://myip:8485.
So far, my experience on my other server is with portainer and nginx proxy manager. If there is nginx installed with hestia, is my option to install npm?

Could one describe the steps they followed to use docker with Hestia please?
Is it possible to locate containers in the user’s folder?
Will hestia backup the container?

many thanks

GOAAAALLLL!
can’t believe I’ve made it!
thanks @flawlessx92 for your post, @zip for your comment

Where would be the best place to store my .yml file?
In the user’s public folder?

Welcome bro. This has been the solution for me and it still works. Theres another way of handling reverse proxies for docker app in hestiacp which i recently found out. Custom templates are not required in this setup. It is via cloudflare tunnelling with the optional advantage of adding extra layer of security via zero trust for your hosted app. Basically cloudflare will handle the reverse proxy for you.

Details of the cloudflare tunneling can be found here:

2 Likes

… so, let me reformulate this: if there is a tunelling towards a docker port from cloudflare, can i sum up by saying that it all works aside of hestia? that this all works ‘without’ hestia??

Yes cloudflare tunneling is independent of hestiacp similar to docker being independent of hestiacp. Im still using hestiacp because its easier to setup my hosted websites (eg. wordpress, codecanyon scripts/web apps). As for docker apps, i now config the reverse proxy via cloudflare tunneling and no longer use hestia nginx template.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.