Can't use .local domain for the hostname?

I’m a tiny bit confused. I tried using (hostname).local and it was rejected. I don’t remember the exact error.

I use conditional forwarders in active directory to typically send .local requests directly to my pihole.
Instead of using (hostname).local I was forced to use (hostname).(mydomain).localdomain

I just think that would be confusing for people, and it seems like .local addresses shouldn’t be prohibited. It makes it easier to setup DNS that way, otherwise I need to setup LOCAL dns records on 2 Active Directory machines AND on both of my piholes.

I see no problem to add a .local domain, either as web/maill domain or as hostname. It’s important to know what where you trying to do, how and the error you get.

Hi @aaronkempf, I see what you mean , look, at home I do have one of those little brick size PC with Debian 13 and new Hestia 1.10.4 installed, it’s hostname is actually server.localhost.local, so .local is actually not the problem. The reason you can’t use (hostmane).local as you mentioned is to comply with RFC 1178, in the section “Avoid domain names”, actually if you try this (like I did trying to use debian.local) in a fresh install you will get this “Error”

So means you can’t use domain.tld directly, but you could try to use for example www.domain.tld (under your risk, I have no idea what could happend in this case).

More details: https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc1178/

Check this section as mentioned:

`Avoid domain names.

     For technical reasons, domain names should be avoided.  In
     particular, name resolution of non-absolute hostnames is
     problematic.  Resolvers will check names against domains before
     checking them against hostnames.  But we have seen instances of
     mailers that refuse to treat single token names as domains.
     For example, assume that you mail to "libes@rutgers" from
     yale.edu.  Depending upon the implementation, the mail may go
     to rutgers.edu or rutgers.yale.edu (assuming both exist).`