cPanel email backup to Mail Dir

Hey, Thank you for such an amazing work on Hestia.

when I was moving my websites from a cPanel to another i used to copy and paste the email folders to the Mail dir. of the new cPanel.
I tried to do the same with Hestia, but the mail folder shows nothing, and the only user who could see the content of the Mail dir. is the Root using the terminal. and when I unzip the email folders to the Mail dir. using the root, the emails stops working and give me error: ```
Server Error: STATUS: Internal error occurred. Refer to server log for more information.

all what I need is to have my old emails data moved to Hestia and delete cPanel from my life forever.

Thank you.

If those emails are available via IMAP and you control the account’s passwords (you know them or you can change them) then you can use imapsync to move the emails.

1 Like

There is also a cpanel backup restore script, but it isnt officially supported or tested. So try it on your own risk: Can it be migrated from CPanel?

1 Like

If you need help with imapsync or you have not bought it yet, send me a PM

I thought imapsync is open source? GitHub - imapsync/imapsync: Imapsync is an IMAP transfers tool. The purpose of imapsync is to migrate IMAP accounts or to backup IMAP accounts. IMAP is one of the three current standard protocols to access mailboxes, the two others are POP3 and HTTP with webmails, webmails are often tied to an IMAP server. Upstream website is

Yes, it was released under the “do whatever you want with it” license but it was not publicly available when I bought it some years ago.

Since I have my copy I didn’t bother to look for it in github.

Great news for you! You don’t have to buy it!

copying mail files via cli works too, even from courier to dovecot as that’s not dependent on any panel after all :wink:

yet permissions can be very tricky and you want to have the general mail folders exist already under each domain before you move in old data. ideally create the mail-accounts in hestia and log in to webmail once per account.
also note down the permissions on files and folders from a working account and make sure you set them accordingly after pulling over the old data.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.