Nginx: [warn] "ssl_stapling" ignored, host not found

When I reboot my server some times I have to manually start Nginx after getting the error below.

Why does this happen?

● nginx.service - nginx - high performance web server
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/nginx.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Mon 2020-11-30 19:07:09 EST; 41s ago
Docs: nginx documentation
Process: 464 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/nginx -c /etc/nginx/nginx.conf (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Nov 30 19:07:08 testdomain.com systemd[1]: Starting nginx - high performance web server…
Nov 30 19:07:09 testdomain.com nginx[464]: nginx: [warn] “ssl_stapling” ignored, host not found in OCSP responder “ocsp.int-x3.letsencrypt.org” in the certificate “/home/nuo/conf/web/testdomain.com/ssl/testdomain.com.pem”
Nov 30 19:07:09 testdomain.com nginx[464]: nginx: [emerg] bind() to 87.106.0.0:80 failed (99: Cannot assign requested address)
Nov 30 19:07:09 testdomain.com systemd[1]: nginx.service: Control process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Nov 30 19:07:09 testdomain.com systemd[1]: nginx.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Nov 30 19:07:09 testdomain.com systemd[1]: Failed to start nginx - high performance web server.

The problem is here, not the ssl stapling issue. Either something is blocking your port 80 (doesnt sound like that) or the nginx service tries to start before the network is ready, which would explain both error messages. You could try to add a delay to the nginx process, somewhere here we had already a thread about, wasnt able to find it - on the other side, google could help aswell.

Thanks, I’ll try adding the delay.

It was my thread a few months back regarding Nginx not starting correctly.

Edit: Adding “ExecStartPre=/bin/sleep 2” to /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/nginx.service fixed the issue.

1 Like