Weird Issue with ISP and STMP

This is a follow-up post for this: SMTP doesn't use Encryption - #7 by ScIT
Also, this issue is not caused by Hestia from what I can find. But I don’t have a solution and don’t know where to find. Hoping someone of you will be kind enough to help!

So I figured a couple things out. SMTP is working A okay from my server’s end. Why? Cause I have several web applications sending out emails to clients through STMP and none of them failed in the last week.

So one day I was outside and bored, thought to retry the connection with phone, and it worked seamlessly. I rushed home to try on my PC and it failed again, then it dawned on me. It’s either somehow blocking home IP or my Pc is blocking the STMP connection. With that in mind I checked the Hestia blacklist and sure enough my home IP was listed. I removed it and added the Ip to whitelist. SMTP worked fine. FOR THAT NIGHT.

The next morning, it failed connection again, and since then I haven’t been able to connect my smtp server from my home connection. The Ip is not blacklisted. My firewall isn’t blocking anything. My Main PC is listed under DMZ of my router, and My ISP doesn’t block any port.

Today I called my ISP for the issue, they checked for 5 hours straight, couldn’t figure out (when they tried smtp from their PC, it worked fine (No its not a general ISP issue either) and the end they suggested I upgrade to Static IP plan and add the static IP to the server’s whitelist so I won’t get blacklisted,

me: But…but none of my Dynamic Ips are blacklisted rn, why isn’t it working now?
support: silence

So that’s when I hit the dead end, This is a very weird problem in my experience, have no clue how to fix it.

Edit: Imap is working well, the Issue is always with SMTP

Smells like NAT setup behind a router?

Nope. No Nat. If you’re wondering about the DMZ thing, it was for an application I used years back. My router used to block its connection for some reason instead of checking the problem I simply added it to the DMZ and called it a day. It was like that since then.

My connection is as vanilla as possible. Ethernet to router, Router to 1 Lan in my PC. and couple wireless for rest of the device. the Only ‘modification’ I did was the DMZ thing.

it sounds more like a local routing issue. i strongly suggest to NOT use hestia in combination with mail on such a setup (with changing ips). Its easier to “just” run hestia in a vps.

Oh! No. You got the whole thing wrong. Hestia is running in VPS. I can’t connect to the server (particularly smtp connection).

When my own home Ip got blacklisted in my Hestia hosted in VPS (assuming I had too many request in a short period of time) I removed the blacklist and added my Home’s Dynamic IP to the White list of the VPS. My tech support suggested me the dumb thing to switch to static IP so I can keep myself Whitelisted all the time (cause in dynamic, my IP can change and I won’t stay whitelisted in my server)

but that’s not the problem cause Currently I am not blacklisted and still can’t connect.

Quick update: STMP is connecting if I use a VPN. I will just format my router to see if there’s any luck

No luck with router reset. :frowning:

without VPN

with VPN

No let’s narrow it down. Since all devices connected to this network can’t connect to the smtp, we can rule out any PC related issue (firewall). So it has to be my ISP or Router.

I just formatted my router and the issue persist. So the issue have to be with ISP right? If so, how can other’s using same isp in my region doesn’t have the problem.

I am puzzled tbh.

Test if fail2ban is banning your IP

Since you said that everything returns normal when you connect to VPN, I believe you should make sure the firewall of the computer allows mail connection. In other words, check the settings of firewall. You should try to reset it to default settings so you can test if the problem is gone.

Per my understanding of your issue by reading your thread, it might take some time to figure out where the issue comes from, therefore don’t get disappointed because of no luck to find a solution.

Do google search on the default settings for windows firewall and see what you’ve come up with.

Let me know the output please.

Test if fail2ban is banning your IP.

I’ve whitelisted myself from fail2ban. as already mentioned.

Since you said that everything returns normal when you connect to VPN, I believe you should make sure the firewall of the computer allows mail connection. In other words, check the settings of firewall. You should try to reset it to default settings so you can test if the problem is gone.

As I’ve mentioned already as I was narrowing it down, Any device connected to my home network cannot connect to smtp. so its not the firewall of my PC. However, I have still tried disabling firewall and trying again. No luck.

Ok could you use the smtp address without the smtp prefix?

I have almost the same issue in my Discours app. It couldn’t recognize the SMTP address and I fixed it by just typing the smtp address without smtp prefix.

Let me know what the result is.

You mean if my smtp address is mail.domain.com I should enter domain.com? No that doesn’t work either

Humm interesting mate! Try to start over the process I know it is a lengthy work, but this is the only way you can do to have full assurance if the issue comes from ISP.

There is one possible way I guess, you could try to connect through ethernet instead of wireless and see the difference. May be there is some misconfiguration in the wireless adaptor, so you’ll see that.

Start over what? Like installing hestia again? That might not be possible. the server is already active and has multiple active users.

It is connected via Lan from Router. not wireless.

Create:
$HESTIA/data/firewall/excludes.conf

And add your ip to it it will not ban those ips

Uh? I don’t have a firewall issue…

f2b blocks the ip in the firewall…

I’ve already added my ip in the whitelist.